Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of International Education
ESF Re-Admission Process

International students who have taken a leave-of-absence and wish to return to ESF, must:

  • Apply for readmission by contacting the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs (Student Support) in the Student Support office to file the appropriate paperwork
    • Readmittance is not processed by the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies or the Office of Admissions.
  • Contact the Coordinator of International Education to indicate your intention to return to ESF
  • Submit financial evidence of the ability to meet all of the financial obligations which will be incurred while attending the College for the duration of the academic program to the Coordinator of International Education.

    In order to obtain an I-20 from ESF, a potential F-1 student must complete the “FSA-4 - Foreign Student Financial Statement Form” and submit credible documentary evidence that they have enough readily available funds to meet all expenses (tuition, fees, and living expenses) for the entire first year of study. (It is expected that barring unforeseen circumstances, students will have adequate funds available for each subsequent year of study from the same source or from one or more other specifically identified and reliable financial sources.)

    Documentation of sufficient funding may come from any combination of dependable sources, including: scholarships, assistantships, fellowships, sponsoring agencies, personal funds, or funds from a student's family.

    Documentation of scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships must be in the form of an official award letter from the school or sponsoring agency; documentation of personal or family funds should be on an official signed letter of support from the bank that includes the U.S. dollar amount of support and certified bank statements which indicate that the sponsor has sufficient funds to meet a student's first-year expenses at ESF (the bank statement does not have to show the full amount of the account), or in the form of a legally binding affidavit. The Form I-134, "Affidavit of Support," can be used to document support being provided by a U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident. Government-sponsored applicants should submit a certified copy of the award letter that includes the U.S. dollar amount of the award per year, the duration of the award, and a list of expenses covered by the award.

Obtaining F-1 Student Status

Upon receiving the SEVIS I-20, you will be required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and apply for a new F-1 student visa. Additional information about your immigration documents and arriving at the U.S Port of Entry is available online. You may also find the resources provided on the New Student webpage helpful as well.