Requesting a New I-20/ I-20 Update
Please use the I-20 Update/ Request Form to request a new I-20 for the following reasons:
- to replace your lost document;
- to update your financial information (e.g., change in source of funding, applying for a new visa);
- for inclusion in your application to change to F-1 student status;
- to change your level of study (e.g., (MS to PhD); or
- to add or change a program of study (e.g., adding a major/minor or changing majors/minors).
If you would like to add a dependent spouse and/or child to your F-1 SEVIS record in order to obtain a dependent I-20 for the F-2 visa application process, please follow the process indicated on the Bringing a Dependent web page.
If you need to apply for I-20 extension, please follow the process indicated on the Extension of I-20 Program End Date web page.
To Request a New/ Updated I-20:
- Complete the I-20 Update/ Request Form and the F-1 Financial Worksheet.
- Submit the following paperwork to the Office of International Education:
- Completed I-20 Update/Request Form
- Completed F-1 Financial Worksheet
- Proof of financial support for 1 year or until the end of your program, whichever
is shorter. Acceptable proof includes:
- Current personal/family bank statement or available balance page of your online account information;
- Assistantship letter, scholarship letter, or fellowship letter; and/or
- Notarized letter from a sponsor (relative or third party) and sponsor’s financial bank statement
- Photocopies of your passport, visa, I-94, and I-20
- Proof of health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (e.g., photocopy of insurance card or policy details
- Enrollment Certification showing full-time status for every semester enrolled at ESF (available at the Registrar’s Office
- If applicable, a photocopy of approved Petition to the Faculty (e.g., change of program or program level requests)
- The Coordinator of International Education will e-mail you upon issuance of your new I-20 within two weeks of the receipt of your request.