Forest Ecosystem Science Laboratory
What is an ePrint?
An ePrint is an electronic file encrypted with DRM (Digital Rights Management) security to control whether or not the Adobe Reader will open or print the ePrint depending on the permissions granted to the end user by the publisher. This particular e-print is restricted in terms of the number of times it can be downloaded; once your download is validated (see 2), you should be able to view and print at will. We have prepaid for a limited number of downloads; if you are able to get from your library or subscription to this journal, we ask that you do so to leave these for those that don't have that option.
How does this work?
The Adobe Systems framework for providing DRM (Digital Rights Management) tools for Acrobat is their "Security Handler" plug-in architecture. The plug-in needed for accessing your ePrint is safe, only needs to be installed once, and allows us to produce secure electronic files according to the trusted Adobe PDF specification. These guidelines prohibit securing content other than through the use of a plug-in. The client plug-ins are extremely small (approximately 400Kb in an installer).
Do I need to be connected to the internet in order to access my ePrint?
The publisher recommends you save the ePrint file to a location on your computer where you can locate and activate it at a later time. To open the saved ePrint file simply double-click on the file icon you saved to your computer. You must be connected to the Internet the first time you open your ePrint. This one-time Internet connection allows your ePrint to validate itself.
Why am I unable to open the ePrint?
- Unfortunately, E-prints are not compatible with the Mac platform.
- Make sure you follow steps 1 and 2 on the ePrint delivery page.
- Check your internet connection, you need to have a live connection to open your ePrint.
- Make sure you have installed the Adobe Acrobat Security Plug-in.
- Make sure you have access privileges to properly download and install the Plug-in.
- Access privileges may have expired. Please contact your sales representative to renew.
Information compiled from Sheridan Reprint's FAQ sheets: