Women’s & Gender Inclusive Toilet Rooms
Restrooms at ESF may be used by any person regardless of gender identity or expression. Most restrooms are multi-stall; individual, lockable restrooms are noted.
Send corrections and updates, and report missing sign holders or URL labels to ESF Women’s Caucus, c/o Heather Engelman
ESF’s earliest buildings were built to the gender ratios and accessibility norms of the campus of those periods. As a result, there were few single occupant toilet rooms or restrooms designated for women. Additional facilities came with later renovations, but some are challenging to find, as are ADA accessible restrooms.
Following the passage of Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA) by the State Legislature in January of 2019, SUNY General Counsel recommended better advertising the location of single-occupant restrooms. And effective 2021, NYS 8 NYCRR Part 317 requires single occupant restrooms on State University campuses to be designated as all-gender.
Why include baby-care facilities? To interrupt the general populace trend of directing parents to toilet rooms to nurse or pump. Such directives violate the workplace law that dictates the minimum requirements for dedicated lactation spaces, as well as NYS civil law that protects the right to nurse where you have the right to be. In addition, parenting resources simply aren’t well marked among other campus materials. We hope to reduce the number of locations parents need to check before finding the information they need.
Building by building breakdown, in alphabetical order
There are no single occupant toilet rooms in Baker Lab. There are 5 multi-stall designated women’s toilet rooms, all of which have an ADA accessible stall. They are located:
- 1st floor, between Rms 148 and 154
- 2nd floor, by main elevator
- 3rd floor, by main elevator
- 4th floor, by main elevator
313 Baker lab is a designated Lactation Room, with a lockable door, chair, counter, outlet and sink; it is located between the freight elevator and 314 Baker. It locks from the interior, and is available to any campus personnel or visitor. Please do not send parents to restrooms to pump or nurse.
Bray Hall has one single-occupant lockable All-Gender toilet room, next to room 22.
Additional are anticipated in upcoming renovations to the 3rd and/or 4th floors.
There are 2 multi-stall designated women’s restrooms, each with an assistive door to the room, and one ADA accessible stall:
- 1st floor, by Payroll (119)
- 2nd floor, by Office of Academic Affairs/The Graduate School (220)
Men's multi-stall restrooms ar on the opposite side of the Rotunda on each floor:
- 1st floor, across the hall from Student Affairs (110), between the elevator and Financial Aid
- 2nd floor, by the Executive People Officer's Office (220)
Through Fall 2023, Individuals may coordinate access to a temporarily vacant office/makeshift Lactation Room (415A Bray) through the Department of Sustainable Resources Management. Please note that 415A Bray is only accessible via stairs, and that a few days (min) lead time is required to cut the user's individual key. Users may also be subject to a key deposit. Please do not send parents to restrooms to pump or nurse.
NOT open to public; access restricted to residents and authorized guests
Most toilet rooms within the dormitory are located within private suites. The exceptions are ADA accessible all gender restrooms, located:
- Vending area, outside laundry room (2)
- Outside the Multipurpose Room
- Expansion Study Room area, by laundry (2)
- By Staff Offices (STAFF ONLY)
Gateway has five (5) single-occupant lockable All-Gender restroom, all of which are ADA accessible with wide doors and grab bars:
- Basement, North End. This room also contains a changing table.
- 2nd floor, South of Open Academy, 2 restrooms
- 2nd floor, North of Admissions, 2 restrooms
Multi-stall gendered bathrooms, with an ADA accessible stall are located:
- Basement, north end
- 1st floor, between Bookstore & Café
Illick has 2 single-occupant lockable All-Gender restrooms, neither of which are ADA accessible.
- 4th floor, next to 416
- 5th floor, next to 512. Note: this restroom shares a hall doorway with the men's shower room, but the restroom and showerroom each have their own interior doors.
Multi-stall designated women’s bathrooms are located:
- Basement, by vending machine. This has an assistive door, and a single wide with stall, plus 2 narrow width stalls.
- 1st floor, by 128
- 2nd floor, by center stairwell. This restroom also has a shower stall
- 3rd floor, by center stairwell
- 4th floor, by 436
Multi-stall designated men’s bathrooms are located:
- Basement, by vending machine, with an assistive door..
- 2nd floor, by 238
- 3rd floor, by 329
A men's shower room is located on the 5th floor, also next to 512. The showerroom shares a hall doorway with the all gender restroom, but the restroom and showerroom each have their own interior doors.
Physical Plant has 2 single occupant-lockable restrooms on the main floor; the floor is reachable only by stairs. One restroom is designated all-gender, the other is designated women. The ground floor has a multi-user designated men’s room. The building is not intended for the general public, so access is limited to building hours.
There are no single occupant restrooms in Jahn Lab. There are 4 multi-stall designated women’s restrooms and 4 multi-user designated men's restrooms, all of which have an ADA accessible stall. They are located:
- 1st floor, en route to Baker
- 2nd floor, behind elevator
- 3rd floor, behind elevator
- 4th floor, behind elevator
Renovations to Marshall Hall (anticipated opening Fall 2023) were planned with accessibility in mind. All single occupant restrooms are ADA compliant, as are the all gender shower rooms (G08, G09, and 017), dry changing room (G10), and lactation room (258). Multi-occupant restrooms each have a single ADA width stall, half of which have a functional changing table.
Single occupant, ADA compliant all gender restrooms are located:
- Ground level: G06 and G07
- Basement: 016
- 1st Floor: 113 (also contains a changing table)
- 2nd Floor: 245, 246, 247, 248 and 249
- 3rd Floor: 308, 309, 310, 311, 312
- 4th Floor: 417, 418
Multi-user toilet rooms, each with a single ADA width door:
- Men: 019 (2 urinals, 3 stalls), 115 (3 stalls, 2 urinals, 3 stalls, changing table)
- Women: 018 (5 stalls); 114 (3 stalls, changing table)
258 Baker lab is a designated Lactation Room, with a lockable door, chair, and accessible height counter, outlet and sink. It locks from the interior, and is available to any campus personnel or visitor. Please do not send parents to restrooms to pump or nurse.
There are no single occupant restrooms in the library. There are 4 multi-stall designated rooms (2 designated men, 2 designated women) all on the basement level.
- Near the stairs. Only the designated women’s room has an ADA accessible stall.
- Between Academic Success Center, and the Writing Center. Neither is ADA accessible.
Both toilet rooms (10-B, 10-C) are All-Gender single occupancy. At the main entrance (top of stairs), turn right, across from International Education. General access to this building may be limited to business hours.
Old M&O Building/Grounds Department
The sole toilet room is All-Gender single occupancy, on the ground floor, through one of the vehicle bays. The building is not intended for the general public, so access is limited to building hours. Toilet room access may be further constrained when the vehicle bay is in use.
All of Walters restrooms are adjacent to the elevator, with assistive doors and an
ADA accessible stall.
All gender restrooms are located:
- 4th Floor
Multi-user designated women’s restrooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors; multi-user designated men’s rooms are located on the 2nd-4th floors.