ESF Named a Best College for 2023 by The Princeton Review
A new report from The Princeton Review names the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) one of the Best 388 Colleges for 2023. ESF, the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment, was also ranked No. 2 in The Princeton Review's Green Matters: Everyone Cares About Conservation list, landed at No. 14 on the Best College Dorms ranking, and made the Best Northeastern Colleges list.
"As environmentalists, all of us at ESF care deeply about conservation," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney. "Our faculty, staff, and students work and learn together to conserve our animal species, plants, and natural resources. It is gratifying to be recognized for the critical work being done at the college."
Read ESF's Best Colleges profile online here.
The Princeton Review editors praise ESF for its "small campus size that allows plentiful opportunities for students to gain close relationships with professors, often eventually leading to projects or teaching assistant positions."
Students describe ESF as "fostering a community that uses the knowledge it gains through schooling to make real changes to our world" and "the professors seem to love what they do, and their research is sprinkled into the undergraduate experience." Every class "is applied directly to your major and field of interest."
The ranking lists are tallied based on The Princeton Review's surveys of 160,000 students at the 388 schools in the book. The company's 85-question student survey asked students to rate their colleges on dozens of topics and report on their campus experiences at them.
The Princeton Review chose the colleges for the book based on data it annually collects from surveys of 2,000 college administrators about their institutions' academic offerings. The company also reviews data from its surveys of college students attending the schools. Only about 14% of America's 2,700 four-year colleges are profiled in the book.
The Green Matters ranking is based on students' answers to survey questions, including how they rate administration and student support for environmental awareness and conservation efforts. The Best Northeastern Colleges list was compiled based on institutions deemed academically outstanding and well worth consideration in a prospective student's college search.
About SUNY ESF
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is dedicated to the study of the environment, developing renewable technologies, and building a sustainable and resilient future through design, policy, and management of the environment and natural resources. Members of the College community share a passion for protecting the health of the planet and a deep commitment to the rigorous application of science to improve the way humans interact with the world. The College offers academic programs ranging from the associate of applied science to the Doctor of Philosophy. ESF students live, study and do research on the main campus in Syracuse, N.Y., and on 25,000 acres of field stations in a variety of ecosystems across the state.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oak Monday – Katherine Flores
- Staff Spotlight: Aaron Knight
- ESF Shares a Century of Knowledge about Wood
- ESF Partners with State Agencies to Promote Climate-Smart Farms and Forests
- SUNY ESF Ranked No. 1 for Sustainability Curriculum
- Alumni Profile: ESF Tramily (‘Trail-Family') Complete 2,200 Mile Trek through the Appalachian Trail
- Staff Spotlight: Melissa Vaughn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Emme Christie
- ESF Honors Newest Members of ESF Athletic Hall of Fame
- ESF’s Dr. Lemir Teron Named Richard P. Nathan Public Policy Fellow
- ESF's Dr. Benette Whitmore launches Funky Foodies, Inc. Podcast in Partnership with WCNY/PBS
- ESF, VA Celebrate 10 Years of Connecting Veterans to Nature
- Staff Spotlight: James Sitnik
- ESF Named a Best College by U.S. News and World Report
- Mighty Oak Monday: Maryam Saffari Aman
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210