ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
Online competition includes 43 SUNY schools
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if more information is required.Copyright © All Rights Reserved by copyright holder
SYRACUSE - Oakie the Acorn, the mascot of ESF's Mighty Oaks athletic teams, is one of 43 SUNY mascots competing in SUNY's Second Annual Mascot Madness beginning March 11.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. Round I and Round II, as they appear on the bracket, will be held simultaneously. This enables participating campuses to receive a full week of open voting before potentially moving on to the second round. The bracket can be viewed at http://blog.suny.edu/?s=Mascot+madness
Forty-three SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
ESF's Oakie, who is seeded 39th, is going up against the 26th-seeded SUNY Erie Community College when voting begins at noon March 11. To vote, visit http://blog.suny.edu/mascot-madness-2014/.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 3. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Last year, Oakie upset fifth-seed SUNY Delhi's Lucky the Bronco to advance to Round 2. However, Oakie fell to Farmingdale's Rambo the Ram in the second round of competition.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories; thoughts on representing their teams; favorite events, New York travel destination and Broadway show; and what they like to do for fun.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents eight men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on several ESF intercollegiate athletic teams, including soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, and track. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie and on Facebook at Oakie Acorn.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210