ESF Celebrates December Convocation
College to honor outstanding alumni during ceremony
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will award 115 degrees, including 10 Doctors of Philosophy, during the 2009 December Convocation, 3 to 5 p.m. Dec. 11 at Hendricks Chapel.
Two alumni will be honored during convocation.
Dr. Robert Lenz '56 and Joe Martens '81 will receive Graduate of Distinction awards.
Lenz (Ph.D., '56 chemistry) is a pioneer in the field of polymer chemistry. He received his Ph.D. from ESF in 1956, working with the late professors Conrad Schuerch and Michael Szwarc. He went on to become one of the founding members of the polymer science and engineering program at the University of Massachusetts. Lenz was a leader in the synthesis of polyesters, a class of biodegradable polymers. He authored a widely used text- and reference book, "The Organic Chemistry of Synthetic High Polymers."
Martens (MS, '81, resources management) is president of the Open Space Institute (OSI), which is dedicated to protecting scenic, natural, and historic landscapes to ensure public enjoyment, conserve habitats, and sustain community character. To date, more than 100,000 acres in New York are protected through OSI's direct acquisition and conservation easements.
Before joining OSI, Martens was a senior legislative analyst for the N.Y. State Assembly Ways and Means Committee. He also worked at the Adirondack Park Agency as an administrative officer, project review officer, and special assistant to the executive director. He left the APA to become secretary for the environment during Governor Mario Cuomo's administration.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210