Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Dominate vs The Kings College
Women's team wins 6-0; men's 8-0
In its first conference game as a member of the Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference both the men's and women's soccer teams dominated its first HVIAC opponent, The King's College of New York, New York, Sept. 5 at Aviator Sports Center in Brooklyn.
The men's team took the field first at the 1 p.m. game. Junior Owen Hennigan got the Mighty Oaks on the board quickly notching a goal within the first 15 minutes. ESF never looked back after that, building a 4-0 half time lead. The Mighty Oaks continued its dominance in the second half, scoring four more goals and winning the game 8-0. Scoring goals for ESF were junior Jorge Guarin (2 goals), sophomore Nick Schiera (2 goals), Hennigan (1 goal, 1 assist), senior Zack Reda (1 goal), senior Robert Hamm (1 goal), junior Joe Mariano (1 goal). Senior Dan McGraw had two assists and freshman goal keeper Bryce Demers had two saves in the net.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. We started shooting again today and were able to successfully finish," said sophomore forward Nick Schiera.
The women's soccer team, coming off its best season in program history, took the field after the men's game and received a little luck getting on the board early after an own-goal by The King's College put ESF up 1-0. Junior All-American Heather Carl knocked in another goal to put the Mighty Oaks up 2-0 early in the first half. The Mighty Oaks finished the game defeating The King's College 6-0. Scoring goals for ESF were Carl (1 goal, 1 assist), senior Bryony Striffler (2 goals, 2 assists), sophomore Lauren Archer (2 goals). Junior All-American goal keeper Kiki Hilmer had six saves in a shutout performance.
"A win is a good start to the season and it was great to see how well we worked as a unit to earn that win. I'm excited to see where this season will take us with this group of women," said Striffler, team captain.
Both the men's and women's teams play again Sept. 11 at Cazenovia College.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210