ESF Receives STARS Gold Rating For Sustainability Progress
College earns high marks for academics, engagement
ESF has received a STARS Gold Rating in recognition of its sustainability efforts from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) measures performance in all aspects of higher education. The Gold Rating is the second highest distinction of STARS, and the score of 73/100 currently places ESF among the top 20 performing colleges and universities in the nation.
With more than 650 participants, STARS is the most widely recognized framework for publicly reporting sustainability performance in four categories: Operations, Academics, Engagement, and Planning & Administration. ESF has been participating in STARS since the pilot program in 2008, and previously earned a STARS Silver Rating in 2011. ESF earns high marks in the Academics and Engagement categories, in part because of its mission of environmental and natural resource education and research. To view ESF performance in the various credit categories, an online version of the report is available here.
"This is a great accomplishment for ESF and reflects on the efforts of our students, faculty and staff-present and past-to make the college a more sustainable institution," said ESF President Quentin Wheeler. "Although we are proud of this achievement, our work is not finished. We will continue to develop and implement ways for ESF to be more sustainable."
The College plans to make continual improvements in all areas of campus sustainability, evaluate progress annually, and share best practices with other colleges and universities through the AASHE network. To these ends, the College has established a new sustainability steering committee to identify and incorporate more sustainable practices into ESF's operations. The steering committee will lead several sustainability working groups that are open to the entire campus community.
Members of the college community are encouraged to participate in the sustainability working groups, and are invited to email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. These working groups include: (1) Energy, (2) Food, (3) Land, (4) Materials, (5) Mobility/Transportation, (6) Water, and (7) Communication and Engagement.
Recent ESF News
- ESF to Host Virtual Career and Internship Fair
- ESF Hosts Semester-Opening Virtual Family Sessions
- Professionals in Sustainability Webinar Series at ESF
- ESF Welcomes New Counsel
- ESF Researchers to Perform Critical Water Quality Investigations on Cayuga Lake
- Dr. Hyatt Green to Speak on Predicting the Next Outbreak
- Latest Issue of Unearthed Online
- Maximum Climate Mitigation Potential from Natural Forest Regrowth Lower than Previously Reported
- ESF Researchers Among Top 2% Cited Worldwide
- SUNY ESF Researchers Awarded Nearly $250,000 USDA Wood Innovation Grant
- ESF Soccer Team Helps with Food Recovery
- ESF To Celebrate Graduates
- SUNY ESF Trails Link Adirondack Towns and Resources
- ESF Named a 2020 Economic Champion
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210