ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
GLRC, Science Corps and timber sports take center stage
When you go to the New York State Fair this year, don't forget to look for the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF).
Students from ESF's SCIENCE Corps will be at the fair 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Aug. 29 as part of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) Exhibit with C&S Companies. The students will showcase hands-on activities to engage children in scientific pursuits. The exhibit will be in the Science and Industry Building right inside the main gate.
The Great Lakes Research Consortium (GLRC), under the direction of Dr. Gregory Boyer, will be at the fair every day with a variety of activities and information for fairgoers. Located at the far west end of the fairgrounds near the new storm water pond, the GLRC will have its buoy in the water broadcasting the weather live from the pond. Members of the GLRC will be on hand in the Shipwreck Shack near the pond to answer questions and present a history of Great Lakes shipwrecks. They will also be doing remotely operated vehicle (ROV) demonstrations in the pond every day from 2 to 4 p.m.
The ESF Woodsmen's Team will be at the fair Saturday, Sept. 2, for the 2nd Annual Timber Sports & Forestry Experience Day. The team will do demonstrations along with timber sports teams from SUNY Morrisville, SUNY Cobleskill and Paul Smith's College. The Forestry Day exhibit will run from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with demonstrations happening throughout the day. The forestry exhibit will be located in the vicinity of the former grandstand behind the Midway.
The New York State Fair runs from Aug. 22 through Sept. 3. College students can $1 admission to the fair with a current college ID.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210