ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
GLRC, Science Corps and timber sports take center stage
When you go to the New York State Fair this year, don't forget to look for the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF).
Students from ESF's SCIENCE Corps will be at the fair 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Aug. 29 as part of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) Exhibit with C&S Companies. The students will showcase hands-on activities to engage children in scientific pursuits. The exhibit will be in the Science and Industry Building right inside the main gate.
The Great Lakes Research Consortium (GLRC), under the direction of Dr. Gregory Boyer, will be at the fair every day with a variety of activities and information for fairgoers. Located at the far west end of the fairgrounds near the new storm water pond, the GLRC will have its buoy in the water broadcasting the weather live from the pond. Members of the GLRC will be on hand in the Shipwreck Shack near the pond to answer questions and present a history of Great Lakes shipwrecks. They will also be doing remotely operated vehicle (ROV) demonstrations in the pond every day from 2 to 4 p.m.
The ESF Woodsmen's Team will be at the fair Saturday, Sept. 2, for the 2nd Annual Timber Sports & Forestry Experience Day. The team will do demonstrations along with timber sports teams from SUNY Morrisville, SUNY Cobleskill and Paul Smith's College. The Forestry Day exhibit will run from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with demonstrations happening throughout the day. The forestry exhibit will be located in the vicinity of the former grandstand behind the Midway.
The New York State Fair runs from Aug. 22 through Sept. 3. College students can $1 admission to the fair with a current college ID.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
- Governor Appoints New Trustees to ESF Board
- ESF Represented at Bioeconomy Conference
- Great Lakes Research Consortium Awards Funding to Five Projects
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food Security
- Community Invited to ESF to Share Ideas About Future of Erie Canal
- ESF Professor Honored by Russian University
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210