Mighty Oaks Weekend Recap
Soccer teams christen new field with a win
The Mighty Oaks men's and women's soccer teams picked up victories over rival Albany Pharmacy in the inaugural game at ESF's newest athletic facility, Tully Field.
The women picked up a 1-0 win over the Panthers off a penalty kick by senior Alyssa Hughes at the 30-minute mark of the first half. Despite outshooting the Panthers 30-3, ESF came away with a 1-0 win. Junior keeper Lauren Claeys had three saves in the win.
The following day, ESF traveled to Broome Community College and defeated the Hornets by a score of 4-2. The women are now 7-0 on the season, 3-0 in HVIAC conference play. The team faces SUNY Poly on the road Sept. 29.
The men's soccer team had a breakout game against Albany Pharmacy, defeating the Panthers 6-0. It was a welcome win for ESF as the last two games resulted in 0-0 ties. Senior Luke Day and sophomore Owen Henkler both had two goals each in the first half to give ESF a 4-0 lead at half time. Junior William Byrne and sophomore Jack Phillips both notched goals in the second half to give ESF a 6-0 win. ESF improves to 2-1-2 overall. The Mighty Oaks travel to Utica College Sept. 25.
The men's and women's cross-country teams participated at the Harry F. Anderson Cross Country Invitational held at Robert Wesleyan College.
The women's team finished fourth overall out of 19 schools including beating out several SUNY powerhouse schools such as Cortland, Buffalo State and Brockport.
Freshman Abby Perez had a phenomenal race for the Mighty Oaks, finishing fifth overall out of more than 200 runners with a time of 18:49. Perez's time in the 5K race set a new school record - breaking Marissa Lathrop's record of 19:33 set in 2015. Also placing in the top 25 for the Mighty Oaks were junior Julie Romano (21st - 19:56) and senior Erin Cocca (25th - 20:01).
On the men's side, freshman Matthew Tripp led ESF with a sixth-place overall finish with a time of 26:01. ESF placed 10th overall as a team out of 21 schools. Junior Mark McClenahan finished 54th overall with a time of 28:05 out of 252 runners.
Hosts Robert Wesleyan won both the men's and women's races. ESF races again at the Mike Wood Invitational held at SUNY Geneseo Sept. 28.
The men's golf team traveled to Yahnundasis Golf Club in New Hartford for the Utica College Invitational. The team finished eighth overall out of 10 schools. Junior Billy Sullivan led ESF with a score of 165 overall (86, 79) in the two-day competition. His score secured a 29th place finish overall out of 50 golfers. Sophomore Andrew Crossway finished second for the Mighty Oaks, 35th overall with a two-day total of 170 (84, 86). The golf team hits the course again at the ESF Players Invitational held at The Links at Erie Village Sept. 28.
Recent ESF News
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210