Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Yaqi You
Assistant Professor - Department of Environmental Resources Engineering
Meet Dr. Yaqi You! Dr. You arrived at ESF in February 2020 as a visiting assistant professor and joined the full-time faculty as an assistant professor in the Department of Environmental Resources Engineering in the fall of 2020.
You completed her Ph.D. in environmental engineering at Johns Hopkins University and received postdoctoral training in environmental health sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Before joining ESF, she served as a visiting assistant professor at Idaho State University, where she started to study aquatic intermittency effects on microbiomes in streams.
You's research targets interactions between microbial communities and emerging contaminants in both natural and engineered systems with the goal of developing innovative solutions for resource recovery and reuse, ecosystem sustainability and public health improvement. The You lab employs multi-omics — the analysis of total DNA (genomics), RNA (transcriptomics), protein (proteomics) and metabolites (metabolomics) of a microbial community — analytical chemistry, and fundamentals of microbiology and environmental engineering. Her long-term goal is to harness the environmental microbiome for a sustainable food-energy-water nexus.
Since arriving at ESF, You has taught an undergraduate course in contaminant fate and transport, and a new graduate course in systems microbiology and biotechnology. She is engaged in undergraduate research mentoring, including mentoring an honors thesis for a May 2021 graduate and is a participating faculty member for the biotechnology major in the Department of Environmental Biology. She also hosts undergraduate researchers for Syracuse University Interactive Biomaterials REU program.
You said the best thing about ESF is that the College is so dedicated to sustainability and environments; her favorite spot on campus is the Roosevelt Wild Life Collection in the Gateway Center.
Recent ESF News
- Dr. Fred Agyeman Earns Honorable Mention for SUNY Chancellorís Distinguished PhD Dissertation
- ESF Adds EV Truck to Its University Police Fleet
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks ESF Among Best Online Programs
- Tell an Inspiring Story to Help Move the Planet Forward
- Staff Spotlight: Jacob Gedetsis
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- ESF Welcomes New Students for Spring Semester
- Governor Hochul Announces Green Purchasing Communities Program
- ESF Joins Global Alliance, Pledging Commitment to Protect Nature
- ESF WEATHER ALERT: Non-Essential Personnel Encouraged to Depart No Later Than Noon Friday, Dec. 23
- ESF WEATHER ALERT: Monitoring Winter Weather and Travel Conditions for Friday, Dec. 23
- ESF President Joanie Mahoney on Adoption of Scoping Plan of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- SUNY ESF Focuses on Building Health for Student and Employee Well-Being
- Extreme Weather Communications
- ESF Graduates Encouraged to Show Humankind a Better Way
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210