SUNY ESF Listed in Top 10 of Top 50 Green Colleges
College lauded for commitment to environmental discovery
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF)-the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment-secured a spot in the Top 10 on the Princeton Review's Top 50 Green Colleges annual ranking. ESF, the only SUNY school to make the list, ranked No. 9 for its specialized study options and commitment to developing innovative solutions to today's environmental issues.
"We're so proud of the work led by our faculty, students, and staff to address today's most pressing environmental issues. ESF continues to be a leader in integrating and prioritizing sustainability in our academic courses, in our research and on campus, which are increasingly important factors for prospective students," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney.
According to The Princeton Review, there is a high level of interest among college applicants and their parents in colleges with green practices, programs, and offerings. In fact, more than half of 12,845 respondents (66%) to The Princeton Review's 2020 College Hopes & Worries Survey said that having information about a college's commitment to the environment would affect their (or their child's) decision to apply to or attend a school.
The Top 50 Green Colleges were ranked on student assessments of the influence of sustainability issues on their academic and campus experiences; administrator and student support for environmental awareness and conservation efforts; and the visibility and impact of student environmental groups on the campus. Nearly 700 U.S. colleges applied to participate. The list is part of the Princeton Review's Guide to Green Colleges: 2022 Edition, which is targeted to college applicants seeking schools with exemplary commitments to the environment and sustainability.
About SUNY ESF
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is dedicated to the study of the environment, developing renewable technologies, and building a sustainable and resilient future through design, policy and management of the environment and natural resources. Members of the College community share a passion for protecting the health of the planet and a deep commitment to the rigorous application of science to improve the way humans interact with the world. The College offers academic programs ranging from the associate of applied science to the Doctor of Philosophy. ESF students live, study and do research on the main campus in Syracuse, N.Y., and on 25,000 acres of field stations in a variety of ecosystems across the state.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Highlights Student Research on National GIS Day
- Dr. Theresa Selfa Appointed Environmental Studies Chair
- ESF Women’s Soccer Team Clinches National Championship
- ESF Cross Country Teams are National Champs
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Nicholas Pflug
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Joshua Drew
- ESF’s Mark Lichtenstein Honored Lifetime Achievement Award by National Recycling Coalition
- Dr. Samuel B. Mukasa Joins ESF as Executive Vice President and Provost
- ESF Senior Accepted to SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Cynthia J. Downs
- SUNY ESF Listed in Top 10 of Top 50 Green Colleges
- ESF to Induct 2021 Class into Athletic Hall of Fame
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Yaqi You
- SUNY ESF’s Dr. Mariann Johnston Named Society of American Foresters Fellow
- SUNY ESF Awarded Prestigious National Science Foundation Grant
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210