ESF Welcomes Expert in Present-Day Extinctions to Campus
Dr. Stuart Pimm to discuss how science can reduce the rate of extinctions and restore species
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment, is pleased to welcome Dr. Stuart Pimm to campus at 7 p.m. April 21 for the Global Conservation Series lecture in the College's Gateway Center.
"We are excited to bring Dr. Pimm to campus," said President Joanie Mahoney. "This lecture gives our students the opportunity to learn from a thought-leader in mass extinctions and offers us the chance to invite the broader community to the ESF campus to hear this important and timely message on conservation."
Pimm is a world leader in the study of present-day extinctions and what can be done to prevent them. He is a professor of Conservation at Duke University.
During his talk, Pimm will tackle the issue of mass species extinction and share his vision for conservation. He has dedicated his career to understanding what causes extinction and finding solutions to save species, based on science and involving the local communities in which they live.
The lecture and following reception are free and open to the public, thanks to the generous support of the Camp Fire Conservation Fund and the ESF Alumni Association.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Celebrates Campus Sustainability Month
- Staff Spotlight: Diana Jaramillo
- Mighty Oak Monday – Katherine Flores
- Staff Spotlight: Aaron Knight
- ESF Shares a Century of Knowledge about Wood
- ESF Partners with State Agencies to Promote Climate-Smart Farms and Forests
- SUNY ESF Ranked No. 1 for Sustainability Curriculum
- Alumni Profile: ESF Tramily (‘Trail-Family') Complete 2,200 Mile Trek through the Appalachian Trail
- Staff Spotlight: Melissa Vaughn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Emme Christie
- ESF Honors Newest Members of ESF Athletic Hall of Fame
- ESF’s Dr. Lemir Teron Named Richard P. Nathan Public Policy Fellow
- ESF's Dr. Benette Whitmore launches Funky Foodies, Inc. Podcast in Partnership with WCNY/PBS
- ESF, VA Celebrate 10 Years of Connecting Veterans to Nature
- Staff Spotlight: James Sitnik
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210