Alumni Spotlight: Hannah Pilkey, ’17 & ’21 7/22/2022SHARE:
Hannah Pilkey was drawn to environmental causes when she learned about the Save the Manatees campaign. It sparked a love that would bring her to ESF. She wasn't sure how to channel her passion, so she took classes topics ranging from herpetology to fisheries.
In her third year, she enrolled in Linda McGuigan's Plant Tissue Culture Methods (BTC 426) class. When she excelled in the course, McGuigan asked her to work on the American Chestnut Project. "Though I didn't realize it at the time, that would become a pivotal moment in my journey," Hannah said.
She started working in the lab in 2016 and pursued her own research in the latter parts of her undergraduate experience. After graduation, she continued with the American Chestnut Project, earning her master's degree in Plant Science. She now works full-time as a plant propagation and tree-breeding manager in the lab. "I am working my dream job right now," Hannah said, "I will stay a part of the program as long as I can."
In her spare time, she works on tissue cultures for carnivorous plants. These specimens came to inception based on projects executed through McGuigan's classes. Over the years, with Hannah and Linda's help, the collection of plants has grown exponentially. The carnivorous plants are sold at fairs at ESF.
Thanks for becoming part of our ESF Family, Hannah!
Recent ESF News
- Staff Spotlight: Aaron Knight
- ESF Shares a Century of Knowledge about Wood
- ESF Partners with State Agencies to Promote Climate-Smart Farms and Forests
- SUNY ESF Ranked No. 1 for Sustainability Curriculum
- Alumni Profile: ESF Tramily (‘Trail-Family') Complete 2,200 Mile Trek through the Appalachian Trail
- Staff Spotlight: Melissa Vaughn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Emme Christie
- ESF Honors Newest Members of ESF Athletic Hall of Fame
- ESF’s Dr. Lemir Teron Named Richard P. Nathan Public Policy Fellow
- ESF's Dr. Benette Whitmore launches Funky Foodies, Inc. Podcast in Partnership with WCNY/PBS
- ESF, VA Celebrate 10 Years of Connecting Veterans to Nature
- Staff Spotlight: James Sitnik
- ESF Named a Best College by U.S. News and World Report
- Mighty Oak Monday: Maryam Saffari Aman
- Alumni Spotlight: Rachel Feeney
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210