Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director National search set for summer4/9/2019SHARE:
Dr. Douglas Johnston has been appointed interim director of the ESF Open Academy.
Johnston will remain in the position until a national search, to be conducted this summer, identifies a permanent director. Johnston succeeds Dr. Charles Spuches, who recently retired.
Johnston will also continue to serve as chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture, a position he has held since 2013.
In announcing the appointment, Interim Provost David Newman noted Johnston was the academic lead in developing ESF's new online sustainability management program, which will launch this fall. "Doug's leadership helped develop that program and, since it is being administered by the Open Academy, there will be a seamless transition," Newman said. "We look forward to tapping Doug's expertise in new ways."
Johnston holds a B.S. in environmental studies and a B.L.A. from ESF, an M.L.A. from Harvard University, and a Ph.D. in civil and environmental engineering from the University of Washington.
Recent ESF News
- Landscape Architecture Students Activate ESF Quad
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210