Bias Incident Notification - Feb 8, 2020 2/8/2020SHARE:
Dear ESF Community,
This weekend, two instances of graffiti targeting individuals based on race were written on white boards in Centennial Hall. In addition, the acts were posted to social media. ESF has pledged to do whatever we can to protect the safety and well-being of every member of our community.
Currently, ESF University Police have identified an alleged perpetrator who will be placed on immediate suspension and removed from the campus pending outcome of the investigation, which is ongoing. As we can, we will share advancements in the investigation. Any additional individuals found to be responsible will face serious consequences. Make no mistake our aggressive actions represent our zero tolerance for any incidents of hate to ensure our entire campus community can live, study and work in an inclusive and safe environment. If you have questions or information about this incident, contact University Police at 315-470-6667.
Our long-term response to any incidence of bias and discrimination remains intact and progress updates are forthcoming. As a reminder, ESF's bias reporting system provides ESF students, staff, and faculty with an avenue to report incidents of bias, bigotry, or hate that occur on our campus or in off-campus settings that impact ESF. Access and report at https://www.esf.edu/ide/bias.htm.
Students who would like to talk are invited to call ESF Counseling Services at 315-470-4716. Dr. Lizette Rivera, the new Director of Student Inclusion Initiatives (Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity) is also available to discuss this incident or any other concerns you may have. Dr. Rivera can be reached at email@example.com or in 445 Baker Lab. For staff and faculty, support is available through the Employee Assistance Program coordinated by Nan Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org, 315-470-6726).
I ask that as a campus community, we remain diligent and responsible to collectively reporting incidents of bias. Anonymous, anti-bias reporting can be done by clicking https://www.esf.edu/ide/bias.htm.
Recent ESF News
- Trailhead Café Steps Up Sustainability Effort
- ESF in Top 5 of Sierra Magazine Cool Schools List
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- Dr. John Stella Named Vice President of Research
- Experts from ESF, SUNY Upstate Join Rep. Katko to Highlight Efforts to Combat Tick-borne Illness
- Malmsheimer Honored with Matt McArdle Excellence in Bioenergy Award
- Popular @SyracuseHistory Instagram Page Features Marshall Hall
- Great Lakes Piping Plovers Boosted by ESF Research
- Music from Their Ears
- Dr. Malika Carter Honored with Harriet Tubman Freedom Award
- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo Nominates, NYS Senate Confirms, ESF’s Newest Trustee, Oluwole “OJ” McFoy
- Biodiversity 'Hotspots' Imperiled along California’s Streams
- ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
- ESF Creates New Electric Vehicle Charging Hub in Syracuse
- ESF’s Bachelor’s in Forestry Ranked No. 1
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210