ESF Hosts Mini Maple Weekend at Heiberg Forest 3/14/2021SHARE:
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will host the mini maple fest at its Heiberg Forest in Tully, New York from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 20 and 21.
The College's Forest Properties staff has been busy tapping trees, boiling sap, and making syrup for the last month and is ready to share it in a celebration of maple syrup season. On average, the College produces approximately 800 gallons of syrup a year.
As part of the College's Break Free from Plastic's pledge, visitors are encouraged to bring their own 16-ounce canning jars to the sugarhouse where they will be filled with hot, fresh maple syrup for $10. A portion of syrup sales benefits student scholarships.
If you don't have a jar, jugs of maple syrup will be available for purchase. Cash or check made out to "SUNY ESF" will be accepted for payment.
In 2020, ESF was the first New York state college to sign the #breakfreefromplastic campus pledge, committing to develop a roadmap to a plastic-free campus by 2025. The pledge was developed by Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN) and is part of the Break Free From Plastic movement, which was started in 2016 to eliminate single-use plastic internationally.
Visitors to Heiberg Forest will need to wear masks and maintain social distancing. Due to the small size of the sugarhouse, visitors will not be allowed inside. Brochures will be available for visitors to use on self-guided tours.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNY’s 2021 Mascot Madness
- ESF Hosts Mini Maple Weekend at Heiberg Forest
- SUNY Announces Grand Opening of Vector Biocontainment Lab at Upstate Medical to Research Infectious Diseases
- Tap Into Maple Syrup at Heiberg Forest
- March Mammal Madness Takes to Twitter
- ESF Student Honored with Award for Student Excellence
- Vending Machines Part of the Plastic-Free Solution
- ESF Hires Project Director for NYS Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Class Crosses Continents to Prepare Consultants
- ESF Against the Stigma of Mental Illness Promotes Mental Health Awareness
- ESF Helps Give Westcott Reservoir Expanded Purpose
- Department Name Change Acknowledges 21st Century Environmental Needs
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210