Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments 5/2/2021SHARE:
Open Academy's non-credit Solar Energy Basics course on the Coursera platform recently hit a milestone of 50,000-plus enrollments since it launched back in 2019. It puts that course in the top 10 enrollments of SUNY courses on the Coursera platform, out of approximately 60 courses.
The course was developed by Dr. Neal Abrams, Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry with instructional design and technical support from the Open Academy.
The course has a global reach, and has been subtitled into eight languages in addition to English. It's one of three courses on solar energy for Coursera developed by Abrams to provide learners with a foundation for designing photovoltaic systems. The second course, Solar Energy System Design, launched in the summer of 2020 and a third will launch this summer. Abrams has also been using these courses as part of a credit-bearing course this semester as part of the online Sustainability Management program, SUS 496- Solar Power: PV Design & Installation.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Highlights Student Research on National GIS Day
- Dr. Theresa Selfa Appointed Environmental Studies Chair
- ESF Women’s Soccer Team Clinches National Championship
- ESF Cross Country Teams are National Champs
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Nicholas Pflug
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Joshua Drew
- ESF’s Mark Lichtenstein Honored Lifetime Achievement Award by National Recycling Coalition
- Dr. Samuel B. Mukasa Joins ESF as Executive Vice President and Provost
- ESF Senior Accepted to SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Cynthia J. Downs
- SUNY ESF Listed in Top 10 of Top 50 Green Colleges
- ESF to Induct 2021 Class into Athletic Hall of Fame
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Yaqi You
- SUNY ESF’s Dr. Mariann Johnston Named Society of American Foresters Fellow
- SUNY ESF Awarded Prestigious National Science Foundation Grant
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210