ESF Senior Accepted to SUNY Upstate Medical University SUNY Pre-Med Opportunity Program Bri’ajah’nae Hymes to study physical therapy11/1/2021SHARE:
SUNY ESF is proud to announce that Environmental Biology student Bri'ajah'nae "Brie" Hymes is one of the first students to participate in SUNY's new Pre-Medical Opportunity Program and has been accepted into SUNY Upstate Medical University's Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
SUNY's Pre-Med Opportunity Program is designed to break the trend of low student diversity among medical schools, which leaves behind students from the most economically-disadvantaged households from pursuing a graduate medical degree. Hymes was one of just 23 Educational Opportunity Program students from across SUNY chosen to participate in the inaugural program announced by SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras in February.
"I didn't know if I could get into a medical school and I was afraid to apply, but I now have confidence that I am one step closer to my dreams of being a part of the medical profession," said Hymes.
The program provides students with academic support, mentorship, clinical exposure, assistance with MCAT preparation, academic coaching, and workshops. To be considered for participation, candidates must be a SUNY EOP sophomore or junior on a pre-medical track, have a grade point average of 3.2 or higher, and have successfully completed two semesters of general chemistry and two semesters of biology.
Recent ESF News
- Center for Sustainable Materials Management Partners with GBCI to Advance Zero-Waste Strategies in New York State
- ESF’s President Mahoney Named a Top Woman Leader in New York State
- ESF Achieves Top Performer Status in Sustainable Campus Index
- SUNY ESF Faculty, Alumnus Appointed to State Climate Impacts Assessment Project
- Dr. Lee Newman Appointed Chemistry Chair
- Advice to Graduates: Try New Things to Enhance Your Overall Well-being
- ESF Graduates: Your Passion Has Never Been More Valuable
- ESF Receives STARS Platinum Rating for Sustainability Achievements
- SUNY ESF to Celebrate December Graduates
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Leanne C. Powers
- SUNY ESF Announces the Addition of a Campus Brave Space
- ESF Highlights Student Research on National GIS Day
- Dr. Theresa Selfa Appointed Environmental Studies Chair
- ESF Women’s Soccer Team Clinches National Championship
- ESF Cross Country Teams are National Champs
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210