SUNY ESF Announces the Addition of a Campus Brave Space 11/30/2021SHARE:
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is proud to announce that a $10,000 anonymous donation to the ESF Undergraduate Student Association (USA) was used to fund the creation of a Brave Space on campus.
"The addition of a brave space is a strong demonstration of students' commitment to inclusion," said Dr. Lizette Rivera, director of student inclusion initiatives and special assistant to the chief diversity officer in ESF's Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity. "This is a great example of the campus community's dedication to ensuring students-especially those who are marginalized-have a space where they can feel safe and comfortable."
A brave space is designed to help improve campus climate and foster a greater sense of community among underrepresented and marginalized people and their allies. It is inclusive to students of all diverse backgrounds, knowledge bases, and lived experiences.
The cost of the brave space-which includes painting and new furniture-will be covered by a $10,000 anonymous donation that was gifted to ESF USA. Additionally, the USA is donating a large meeting room to be repurposed for the brave space.
"Students feel that what our campus needs most at this time is a place where underrepresented students can feel safe and welcome. We can't think of a better or more impactful way to invest our donors' funds," said Lexi Chipules, ESF student and president of the ESF USA. "We're proud that ESF will soon have a dedicated space where everyone can be comfortable being their own authentic selves."
ESF's Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity is working closely with the ESF USA and student clubs to move the project forward. ESF's Facilities Planning, Design & Construction played an instrumental role in preparing the space. ESF's Brave Space will be located at 11 Bray Hall and is expected to open in November.
"The new brave space is a terrific example of donors' funds in action. I'm impressed with the team's collaboration to create a place on campus that will help cultivate a sense of community," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney.
To learn more about ESF's commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity, please visit www.esf.edu/ide.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oak Monday: Manoon Pilosungnoen
- Alumni Spotlight: Jacob Darius, ’22
- Staff Spotlight: Jill Rahn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Anindita Paul
- SUNY ESF Summer Science Week at the MOST
- Alumni Spotlight: Hannah Pilkey, ’17 & ’21
- Mighty Oak Monday: Julia Niehoff
- SUNY ESF Congratulates Dean’s and President’s Lists for Spring 2022
- Alumni Spotlight: Wayne Schacher, ’71
- ESF Acquires Three Buses, Saving the College Substantially and Providing Much-Needed Transportation
- Mighty Oak Monday: Tatianna Moragne
- ESF's Corpse Flower Blooms
- Alumni Spotlight: Karina Lang, '22
- Mighty Oak Monday: Sarah Quadt
- 10th Annual Loon Race Celebrates Summer in the Adirondacks
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210