ESF Achieves Top Performer Status in Sustainable Campus Index 1/10/2022SHARE:
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) was once again recognized as a top performer in the annual Sustainable Campus Index by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). The Index identifies top-performing sustainable colleges and universities overall and in 17 impact areas as measured by the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS).
ESF earned high marks in a number of categories:
- No. 1 for its doctoral curriculum, which ranks colleges on courses, programs and learning outcomes in sustainability, living laboratory initiatives, immersive experiences, sustainability literacy, and faculty development.
- No. 2 for public engagement, which ranks colleges on community and inter-campus partnerships, continuing education, community service, public policy participation, and trademark licensing.
- No. 6 for water, which examines water use reduction and rainwater management.
- No. 7 for its doctoral program, which is ranked based on highest overall scores among doctoral institutions
"This recognition is a testament to our faculty's commitment to creating and delivering world-class curriculum, and our College's dedication to building a sustainable and resilient campus and world," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney. "Our results in the Sustainable Campus Index are an indication that we are achieving our mission to improve our world."
The College's State Center for Sustainable Materials Management was highlighted in the Index as an innovative and high-impact project. ESF and Syracuse University partnered to establish the New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management (SMM), which is funded by a five-year $5.75 million grant from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The center-the first of its kind in the country-is devoted to practices in waste reduction, reuse, recycling and composting.
AASHE's 2021 Sustainable Campus Index is available here.
AASHE empowers higher education administrators, faculty, staff, and students to be effective change agents and drivers of sustainability innovation. It is the most widely recognized framework in the world for publicly reporting comprehensive information related to a college or university's sustainability performance.
Recent ESF News
- ESF’s President Mahoney Named a Top Woman Leader in New York State
- ESF Achieves Top Performer Status in Sustainable Campus Index
- SUNY ESF Faculty, Alumnus Appointed to State Climate Impacts Assessment Project
- Dr. Lee Newman Appointed Chemistry Chair
- Advice to Graduates: Try New Things to Enhance Your Overall Well-being
- ESF Graduates: Your Passion Has Never Been More Valuable
- ESF Receives STARS Platinum Rating for Sustainability Achievements
- SUNY ESF to Celebrate December Graduates
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Leanne C. Powers
- SUNY ESF Announces the Addition of a Campus Brave Space
- ESF Highlights Student Research on National GIS Day
- Dr. Theresa Selfa Appointed Environmental Studies Chair
- ESF Women’s Soccer Team Clinches National Championship
- ESF Cross Country Teams are National Champs
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Nicholas Pflug
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210