Dr. Neal Abrams Appointed Interim Director for ESF’s Open Academy 1/21/2022SHARE:
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment, named Dr. Neal Abrams interim director of the ESF Open Academy.
"I am grateful Dr. Abrams agreed to take on this responsibility and have every confidence he will serve the college well," said Dr. Samuel Mukasa, executive vice president and provost.
Abrams, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry, assumed interim director duties of the Open Academy Jan. 13. ESF Open Academy represents an academic unit that encompasses the College's Summer Semester, academic year visiting student, professional, and public education programs, online educational programming, and ESF's Teaching and Learning Center.
Abrams, an inorganic chemist, has been with ESF since 2007. His research interests lie in the areas of materials and inorganic chemistry, encompassing areas of alternative energies such as energy storage, photovoltaics, and fuel cells.
He brings a wealth of experience to the Open Academy position, including online and professional education. His course Solar Energy Basics has garnered more than 65,000 enrollments since its 2019 launch.
Along with his interim duties, Abrams will teach the general chemistry labs this spring and continue his other departmental obligations. He also serves as secretary for Academic Governance and is active in professional service to the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Recent ESF News
- ESF Named Best Value College, Ranked No. 1 Public School for Making an Impact
- ESF Becomes an Affiliate of Bee Campus USA
- Mighty Oak Monday: Grace Burrows
- ESF Introduces Campus Sustainability Walking Tour
- Ranger School Graduates May 14
- Mighty Oak Monday: Daniela Ilona Manuschevich Vizcarra, ‘14
- ESF Celebrates the Class of 2022
- Dr. Jonathan Cohen Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- Dr. Douglas Johnston Named SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
- ESF Faculty, Staff Receive Chancellor’s Awards
- ESF Announces Honorary Degree Recipient
- ESF Graduates to Be Honored at May 7 Ceremony
- ESF Athletes Celebrated During Annual Banquet
- Mighty Oak Monday: Alicia Fahrner
- ESF Alumna Brie Hymes Receives Norman R. McConney, Jr. Award for Student Excellence
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210