ESF Food Pantry
Healthy food should be available to every student, without fear of judgment or second-class treatment.
Food insecurity, the state of having limited or uncertain access to food, is an issue on college campuses across the country. To address this problem, the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) established an on-campus food pantry for students who may be experiencing hunger and/or struggling to attain food due to financial hardships.
The food pantry is named to honor Beth Ann Newkirk, an ESF student who died June 11, 2019, in a house fire. Beth came to ESF as a transfer student in the fall of 2018 in EFB. She used the Syracuse University Food Pantry and if she was still with us would be an avid supporter of ESF's pantry. Beth was described as "a glowing bright light" and "a joy to be around." It is a great privilege for ESF to name the pantry to honor her spirit.
Beth's Bounty: The Food Pantry at ESF is run by Alpha Xi Sigma, ESF's Honors Society student organization. It receives support from the Division of Student Affairs and the Food Pantry Advisory Team.
- Creating a safe space to distribute quality emergency food to current ESF students.
- Creating and promoting a space on campus dedicated to food donation collection.
- Collecting quality food items that may otherwise go to waste to enhance sustainability initiatives on campus.
- Encouraging student engagement to foster a sense of community, volunteerism, and service to peers on campus.
The Food Pantry is located in the basement of Moon Library.
Students will be asked to show their ID upon entering the Food Pantry to verify student
status. Otherwise, use of the Pantry will be anonymous and confidential.
In an effort to support students in need of using the Food Pantry and helping it sustain itself, there will be a limit on how many items per food category students can take in a single visit. The Food Pantry student staff will assist visitors with questions.
Give to The Food Pantry Fund
Your gift will be used to support the Pantry's daily operation, and to supplement the inventory of donated goods.
Checks made payable to: SUNY ESF College Foundation, Inc.--note "Food Pantry" on the memo line—should be mailed to:
ESF Development Office
Re: Food Pantry
Centennial Hall - West Entrance
PO Box 6486
Syracuse, NY 13217-6496
Donate goods to the Food Pantry:
The Food Pantry is accepting donations of food and personal care items.
Below is a list of suggested items.
- Lentils & Grains: Beans (small bag or can), Rice (small bag), Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal bars, Stuffing.
- Proteins: Canned products (beans, meats, tuna, and chicken), Corned beef hash, Vienne sausages, Sardines, Spam
- Snacks: Crackers, Pretzels, Chips, Cookies, Snack bars, Fruit cups, Raisins
- Cans: Vegetables, Fruit (i.e. Mandarin Oranges), Chiles, Soups, Tomato sauce, Pasta sauce
- Drinks: Water bottles, Juice boxes, Sodas, Canned beverages
- Seasonings/Condiments: Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, Mustard, BBQ sauce, Hot sauce, Small individual portions of peanut butter, jelly, or butter.
- Feminine Hygiene Products: Tampons, Liner Pads, Pads, Wipes
- Toiletries: Deodorant, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Floss, Toilet paper (individually wrapped rolls), Dish Soap, Soap, Paper towels
- Miscellaneous: Utensils
ESF Food Pantry Recipe Guide
Other Resources in the Community
ESF students can also access the Syracuse University Food Pantry located in two locations now. The location on SU Main Campus is in Hendricks Chapel in the Dean's Office, Room 003. The second location is on SU's South Campus. For more information please visit Hendricks Chapel.