Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of International Education
Current F-1 Students

Welcome to the The Office of International Education (OIE)!!! We are the primary on-campus immigration resource available to the ESF international student community. We assist international students with maintaining status and adhering to U.S. immigration laws by providing advice regarding immigration regulations and various immigration–related topics such as employment and travel.

OIE provides all immigration document services including initial I-20's, SEVIS transfer I-20's and document updates (e.g., I-20 extensions) for active students. We also host a multitude of events for international students throughout the year!

Helpful Campus Services

Most Common Questions

  • What is F-1 Status?
    Immigration information for our international community and how to maintain valid F-1 status while at and after ESF.
  • How do I Get a:
    • Social Security Number?
      Get information on how to get a Social Security Number (SSN) used to record your earnings in the U.S.
    • Driver's License?
      Learn about the process of getting a New York State driver's license or photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • I Need to Extend My I-20...
    Not going to graduate based upon your program date on your I-20? Learn how to apply for an I-20 extension and what forms you will need to submit.
  • What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
    CPT is temporary work authorization for an internship or professional excperience... learn how to apply!
  • What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
    OPT is temporary employment authorization for practical training for a cumulative maximum of 12 months.
  • What is 24-Month STEM OPT Extension?
    Did you know you can extend OPT by up to 24 months if you fall under a STEM category? 24-Month STEM OPT Extension extends your current OPT, but be careful, there is a long application process.
  • Can I Bring a Dependent (F-2)?
    Yes! There is a process, and it can take some time, but yes you can! Click this link to find out what is required and how you can apply for an F-2 visa for either a spouse or a child.

The Office of International Education reserves the right to a one-week time frame for reviewing and processing of any submitted requests. Student should anticipate OIE to take the full week and should expect to submit documents early in order to avoid potential complications.