Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Medical Clearance and Health Insurance Information

Medical Records, Immunizations, & the Health Form

New York State public health laws require that all students provide documentary evidence of their health history and immunizations (measles, mumps, rubella, and meningitis). You must complete the Student Health Form with your doctor/physician. The forms must be submitted to Division of Student of Affairs prior to the beginning of your first semester.

Completed Health Forms should be emailed to or mailed to:

Division of Student Affairs
1 Forestry Drive
110 Bray Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210

If you do not supply these records to Health Services prior to or upon your arrival, you will be required to obtain immunization(s) upon arrival and insurance may not cover this expense. Please avoid this expense by providing your completed medical record as soon as possible.

Health Clearance & Tuberculosis Testing

As part of the health clearance process for new students, you are required to go through tuberculosis screening in accordance with state and county guidelines. This clearance process should be completed as soon as you arrive in Syracuse. If a chest x-ray is medically necessary for this clearance, it must be taken and read in the United States or Canada within 3 months of arrival. Therefore, please plan to have all your tuberculosis testing done as part of health clearance at Crouse Medical Practice immediately upon arrival to campus; do not attempt to complete this in your home country as the testing will need to be repeated in the US. Returning students from Leave of Absence may or may not be required to have the testing done again. Please consult with the Crouse Medical Services by calling 315-766-1628 or

There is no initial charge for the health clearance appointment. Charges will result if students require immunizations (e.g., MMR vaccines) or lab work related to a positive TB result.

Failure to complete the health clearance in a timely fashion will result in a hold being placed on a student's account.

Health Insurance Requirement

ESF students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are required by SUNY policies to maintain adequate health insurance with medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. International students (F-1 or J-1 status) are automatically enrolled in the SUNY International Student Insurance Plan prior to matriculation and the fee for the medical coverage is added to the Bursar bill. You will be enrolled in this insurance every year of your program and the coverage will continue until graduation.

Please note that neither the State of New York, through its agents, nor the State University of New York through its agents and employees, is responsible in any manner whatsoever for the payment of any claim for health-related services provided to individuals covered under this insurance policy. The State of New York and State University of New York are not responsible for obligations incurred by individuals who are not covered by this insurance policy. All individuals participating in the University’s health insurance programs described herein are responsible for reviewing all descriptions of the scope and level of coverage offered by this policy. Such participants will be solely responsible for obtaining additional coverage not provided under this program if such is deemed necessary by the participant.

Students who Hold a Graduate, Teaching, or Research Assistantship

F-1 Visa holders who hold a Graduate, Teaching or Research Assistantship may be eligible and/or required to enroll in their assistantship insurances. For any students who opt into an assistantship insurance, they may provide a copy of their insurance card to the Cashier's Office in order to waive out of the SUNY International Student Insurance Plan. All international students that are granted waivers from enrolling in the SUNY International Student Insurance Plan will still be auto-enrolled in the supplemental Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance.

Family/Spouse/Dependent Health Insurance

Adequate health insurance with medical evacuation and repatriation coverage must be obtained for every member of your family who accompanies you to the U.S. The SUNY International Student Health Insurance can be purchased for dependents who join you in the U.S. If you have children who will be attending public schools, you will be required to show proof of immunization, including the three D.P.T (diptheria, pertussis, tetanus). Bring copies of medical records for yourself and your family members.