e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry
e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry

Education Abroad

ESF Short-Term International Programs

Applying to an ESF Short-Term International Program

Students interested in participating in an ESF International Program must submit the International Program General Application to the course program leader. For a list of program and program leaders, please review here: ESF Short-Term Programs.

Participating in an ESF Short-Term International Program

Students are REQUIRED to comply with college policy for all international programs including submitting the complete packet of international program forms with supplemental documentation. If students do not comply, they will be "unregistered" for the associated coursework and will not receive credit. Students must submit to OIE the following documents:

  • Completed pack of ESF International Program/ Course /Activity Participant Forms
    (Participant Information; Agreement and Release; Student Health Information; Physician’s Statement; and Statement of Insurance)
  • A copy of your passport photo/identification page and passport expiration page
    (An international traveler's passport should be valid at least 6 months beyond the anticipated date of re-entry to the U.S.)
  • A copy of your visa (if applicable)
  • A copy of your flight itinerary (if you will be flying separate from the faculty program director or no group flight was arranged)

International Health Insurance including Medical Evacuation and Repatriation

SUNY students who participate in international study, programs, or research are required to carry comprehensive health insurance with medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. The coverage should be in effect for the entire period the student will be abroad. No exemption from the health insurance fee shall be allowed except for participants presenting evidence of a religious objection or those individuals for whom comparable coverage has been obtained through an exchange agreement, an employment benefit, or foreign government sponsorship.

To enroll in the comprehensive SUNY health insurance including medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, please contact the ESF Cashier's Office (102 Bray Hall).

NOTE: Neither the State of New York, through its agents, nor the State University of New York through its agents and employees, is responsible in any manner whatsoever for the payment of any claim for health-related services provided to individuals covered under this insurance policy. The State of New York and State University of New York are not responsible for obligations incurred by individuals who are not covered by this insurance policy. All individuals participating in the University’s health insurance programs described herein are responsible for reviewing all descriptions of the scope and level of coverage offered by this policy. Such participants will be solely responsible for obtaining additional coverage not provided under this program if such is deemed necessary by the participant.


Be sure to access the Center for Disease Control’s website to obtain information regarding health and immunization recommendations for your travel destination and then obtain any necessary vaccinations and medications.

Country-Specific Information

Before departing, take the time to do some research about the people and their culture, and any problems that the country is experiencing that may affect your travel plans. Be sure to access the country-specific information and background notes for your travel destination on the U.S. Department of State website and the country profiles on the BBC’s website and The Study Abroad Handbook.


Any individual traveling internationally (beyond the territories and borders of their country of citizenship) must have a valid passport at all times while outside their country of citizenship. It should be valid at least 6 months beyond the end date of your study abroad program. You will be required to show border and custom authorities your passport when you enter or leave the U.S. and when crossing most other national borders.

Standard processing of passport applications typically takes 4-6 weeks but can take from 10-12 weeks during peak application periods so be sure to apply in a timely manner. Information about expedited passport services is available online.

You must submit your application materials in person at the nearest Passport Acceptance Facility (including Moon Library) if:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport or
  • You are under age 16 or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16 or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change

You may renew your passport by mail if all of the following are true:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

check image Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
 Was issued when you were age 16 or older
 Was issued within the last 15 years
 Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

Take the Green Passport Pledge and acknowledge sustainable travel and the interconnectedness of the world’s people and the environment.

Additional Passport Resources

Traveler's Insurance

It is recommended that students traveling internationally purchase traveler’s insurance. Note that this is different from the required international health insurance. Traveler's insurance covers events such as delayed/cancelled flights, lsot luggage, or trip interruptions.

Department of State Study Abroad Resources

Students and their families should be aware that the U.S. Department of State maintains a website for U.S. citizen students who are, or will be, studying abroad. It may be found at www.studentsabroad.state.gov and addresses the following subject areas:

  • Enrolling ones’ presence abroad with the nearest U.S. Embassy through the STEP Enrollment Program;
  • Checking country-specific conditions as well as travel warning and alerts;
  • Offering students travel safety and other traveling tips provided.