Siddharth G ChatterjeeAssociate Professor
406 Walters Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
- Air and Water Pollution Control (water recycle in paperboard mills, submerged packed bed bioreactor for wastewater treatment)
- Separation Processes (gas absorption, membrane filtration, adsorption, distillation)
- Alternative Energy (biodiesel from crude tall oil, evaporative cooling)
- Modeling, Simulation and Design
- Transport Phenomena (moisture sorption and diffusion in paper, approximations for describing heat and mass transfer)
- Reaction Engineering (autohydrolysis of wood)
- Air Pollution Engineering (GNE 461/661)
- Water Pollution Engineering (ERE 440)
- Engineering Design (PSE 481)
- Engineering Design Economics (PSE 480)
- Differential Equations for Engineers and Scientists (APM 485)
- Partial Differential Equations for Engineers and Scientists (APM 585)
- Unit Process Operations (BPE 435)
- Bioprocess Engineering Design (BPE 481)
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- B.Tech. (Hons.), Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
- Associate Professor, Paper Science and Engineering, SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse, NY (2001− present)
- Assistant Professor, Paper Science and Engineering, SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse, NY (1994 – 2001)
- Adjunct Professor, Chemical Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA (1993 – 1994)
- Senior Project Engineer, Koch Engineering Company, Wilmington, MA (1989 – 1993)
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India)
- Member of IIChE (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- American Chemical Society Publications, Certificate of Appreciation - 2011
- IIChE Awards
- Chemical Weekly Award for the Best Paper published in the “Indian Chemical Engineer” in its issues for 2008 - 2009
- IIChE NRC Award Best Paper in "Indian Chemical Engineer" 2008 - 2009
- Tappi Empire State Section, Certificate of Appreciation - 2002
- Reviewer of papers for Desalination and Water Treatment, Separations Technology, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Wood Science and Technology, Environmental Science and Technology, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Separation and Purification Technology, Environmental Progress, International Journal of Environmental and Waste Management, Journal of Environmental Protection Science, Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology, Drying Technology, International Journal of Green Energy, Indian Chemical Engineer, Chemical Engineering Communications, Chemical Engineering Science, Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, a proposal for Maine Technical Institute and a book (Software Architectures and Tools for Computer Aided Process Engineering) for Elsevier.
- “Process for Making Biodiesel from Crude Tall Oil,” Chatterjee, S. G., Omori, S., Marda, S., Shastri, S., US Patent No.: 7,695,532 B2, April 13, 2010.
- Yuan, J., Huang, H., Chatterjee, S. G., Wang, Z. and S. Wang, "Effective Factors for the Performance of a Co-generation System for Bioethanol and Electricity Production via Microbial Fuel Cell Technology," Biochemical Engineering Journal, 178, 108309 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2021.108309, https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1eGNK,V9BZL0LF
- Huang, H. and S. G. Chatterjee, "Transient Physical Gas Absorption in a Stirred Liquid Using the Surface Renewal Model of Mass Transfer," Chemical Engineering Science, 234,116449 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2021.116449
- Yuan, J., Liu, S., Jia, L., Ji, A. and S. G. Chatterjee, "Co-Generation System of Bioethanol and Electricity with Microbial Fuel Cell Technology," Energy & Fuels, 34(5), 6414–6422 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c00749
- Ashutosh Mittal, Heidi M. Pilath, Yves Parent, Siddharth G. Chatterjee, Bryon S. Donohoe, John M. Yarbrough, Stuart K. Black, Michael E. Himmel, Mark R. Nimlos, and David K. Johnson, "Chemical and Structural Effects on the Rate of Xylan Hydrolysis during Dilute Acid Pretreatment of Poplar Wood," ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 7, 4842-4850 (2019). https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acssuschemeng.8b05248
- Das, A., Mondal, C. and S. G. Chatterjee, "A Mathematical Study on Anaerobic Digestion Process Treating Vegetable Waste for Energy Recovery," Indian J. Environmental Protection, 38(11), 883-895 (2018).
- Horvath, I. R. and S. G. Chatterjee, "A Surface Renewal Model for Unsteady-state Mass Transfer Using the Generalized Danckwerts Age Distribution Function," Royal Society Open Science, 5: 172423 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsos.172423
- Mondal, C. and S. G. Chatterjee, "A Frequency Quantum Interpretation of the Surface Renewal Model of Mass Transfer," Royal Society Open Science, 4: 170103 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.170103
- Das, A., Mondal, C. and S. G. Chatterjee, "Time-Lag Models for Continuous Stirred Tank and Plug Flow Digesters for Biogas Production, " Energy & Fuels, October (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01320
- Mondal, C., Das, A. and S. G. Chatterjee, "A Time-Lag Model for Biogas Production by Anaerobic Digestion," Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 8, 063104 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4966160
- Chatterjee, S. G., "Letter to the Editor," Indian Chemical Engineer, 58(1), 89-92 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00194506.2015.1100407
- Jiang, S. and S. G. Chatterjee, “A Surface-Renewal Model for Constant Flux Cross-Flow Microfiltration,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science (2014). doi: 10.1002/app.41778 https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2112/2112.01294.pdf
- Idan, G. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Application of a Surface-Renewal Model to Permeate-flux Data of Constant-Pressure Cross-Flow Microfiltration with Dean Vortices,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 32(2), 609-627 (2015). https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0104-6632.20150322s00003417
- Zhang, W. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Influence of Residence Time Distribution on a Surface-Renewal Model of Constant-Pressure Cross-Flow Microfiltration,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 32(1), 139 - 154 (2015). https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0104-6632.20150321s00003129
- Chatterjee, S. G., “Two Contrasting Paradigms of Science: Cartesian Mechanism and Undivided Wholeness,” The International Journal of Science in Society, 4(3), 75-93 (2013). https://doi.org/10.18848/1836-6236/CGP/v04i03/51394
- Skrip, S., Das, G. K. and S. G. Chatterjee, "Analytical Expressions for the Adsorbate Breakthrough Curve from a Fixed Bed of Adsorbent with First-Order and Second-Order Kinetic Models," Indian Chemical Engineer, 55(2), 87-103 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00194506.2013.798490
- Hasan, A., Peluso, C. R., Hull, T. S., Fieschko, J.. and S. G. Chatterjee, “A Surface-Renewal Model of Cross-Flow Microfiltration,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 30(1), 167 - 186 (2013). https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-66322013000100019
- Chatterjee, S. G., “The Nature of Scientific Theory,” Current Science, 102 (3), 386-388 (2012). https://www.jstor.org/stable/24083882?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
- Chatterjee, S. G., “On the Use of the Surface-Renewal Concept to Describe Cross-Flow Ultrafiltration,” Indian Chemical Engineer, 52 (3), 179-193 (2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00194506.2010.547927
- Chatterjee, S. G., “A Theoretical Analysis of Dissolved-Gas Transfer to the Bulk Liquid in Gas Absorption with a First-Order Reaction,” Indian Chemical Engineer, 51(3), 177-193 (2009). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00194500903315476
- Mittal, A., Chatterjee, S. G., Scott, G. M., and T. E. Amidon, "Modeling Xylan Solubilization During Autohydrolysis of Sugar Maple and Aspen Wood Chips: Reaction Kinetics and Mass Transfer,” Chemical Engineering Science, 64, 3031-3041 (2009). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2009.03.011
- Mittal, A., Chatterjee, S. G., Scott, G. M., and T. E. Amidon, “Modeling Xylan Solubilization During Autohydrolysis of Sugar Maple Wood Meal: Reaction Kinetics,” Holzforschung, 63, 307-314 (2009). 10.1515/HF.2009.054
- Chatterjee, S. G. and E. R., Altwicker, “Film-Penetration Model for Nonisothermal Physical Gas Absorption,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 47, 7368-7374 (2008).
- Chatterjee, S. G., “A Simple Description of Transient Moisture Diffusion in Paper,” Indian Chemical Engineer, 50(1), 34-46 (2008).
- Mittal, A., Kataria, T., Das, G. K. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Evaporative Cooling of Water in a Small Vessel under Varying Ambient Humidity,” International Journal of Green Energy, 3, 347-368 (2006). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01971520600704654
- Mittal, A., Iribarne, J., Rajan, K. G. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Buildup of Dissolved Solids in a Paperboard Mill with Water Closure,” Progress in Paper Recycling, 15(3), 19-32 (2006).
- Chatterjee, S. G., Review of “Software Architectures and Tools for Computer Aided Process Engineering”, Separation and Purification Technology, 35, 169-173 (2004). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(03)00205-3
- Gupta, H. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Parallel Diffusion of Moisture in Paper. Part 2: Transient Conditions,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 42(25), 6593-6600 (2003).
- Gupta, H. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Parallel Diffusion of Moisture in Paper. Part 1: Steady-State Conditions,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 42(25), 6582-6592 (2003).
- Chatterjee, S. G., “Comparison of Domain and Similarity Models for Characterizing Moisture Sorption Equilibria of Paper,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 40(1), 188-194 (2001).
- Radhakrishnan, H., Chatterjee, S. G. and B. V. Ramarao, “Steady-State Moisture Transport in a Bleached Kraft Paperboard Stack,” Journal of Pulp and Paper Science, 26(4), 140-144 (2000).
- Bandyopadhyay, A., Radhakrishnan, H., Ramarao, B. V. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Moisture Sorption Response of Paper Subjected to Ramp Humidity Changes: Modeling and Experiments,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 39(1), 244-244 (2000).
- Mittal, A., Dhagumudi, V. and S. G. Chatterjee, "Effluent Recycle and Effluent Treatment with Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) Technology in Paper Mills," Institution of Engineers, Kolkata, India, 6-7 May 2016.
- Chatterjee, S. G., "Two Contrasting Paradigms of Science: Cartesian Mechanism and Undivided Wholeness," Fourth International Conference on Science in Society, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, 15-17 November 2012.
- Marda, S., Omori, S., Shastri, S., Chatterjee, S. G., “Production of Biodiesel from Crude Tall Oil (CTO),” Techstorm, Binghampton University, Binghampton, New York, 18 April 2012.
- Chatterjee, S. G., “On the Use of the Surface-Renewal Model to Describe Cross-flow Ultrafiltration,” American Filtration & Separations Society 2009 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis St. Paul, Minnesota, 6 May 2009.
- Skrip, S., Das, G. K. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Use of Kinetic Models for Correlating Adsorbate Breakthrough in a Fixed Bed of Adsorbent,” CHEMCON 2007, Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata, India, 27-30 December 2007.
- Gupta, H. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Facets of Moisture Diffusion in Paper Under Steady-State Conditions,” Proc. Progress in Paper Physics Seminar, p. 254-258, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry & Empire State Paper Research Institute, Skaneateles Falls, New York, September 8-13, 2002.
- Ramarao, B.V. and S.G. Chatterjee, “Moisture Sorption by Paper Materials Under Varying Humidity Conditions,” Trans. 11th Fund. Res. Symp., Vol. 2, 703-749 Cambridge, U.K., September, 1997.
- Chatterjee, S. G. and B. V. Ramarao, “Hysteresis in Water Vapor Sorption Equilibria of Bleached Kraft Paper Board,” Proc. 3rd International Symposium on “Moisture and Creep Effects on Paper, Board and Containers”, ed. I. R. Chalmers, 121-134, PAPRO, Rotorua, New Zealand, Feb. 20-21, 1997.
- Ramarao, B. V., Chatterjee, S. G. and A. R. K. Eusufzai, “Moisture Transport and Sorption by Paper Under Cyclic Variations in Humidity,” Proc. ASME-AMD/MD, Conference: Mechanics of Cellulose Materials Symposium, ed. R. Perkins, ASME AMD-Vol.209/MD-Vol. 60, 195-214, Los Angeles, CA, 1995.
- McNulty, K. J. and S. G. Chatterjee, “Simulation of Atmospheric Crude Towers Including Packed Bed Pump-Around Zones Using a Rate-Based Simulator,” I ChemE Symposium Series No. 128, Distillation and Absorption `92, Paper 34, A329-A344, Birmingham, U.K., September 9, 1992 (see also Trans. I ChemE, 70, Part A, September 1992).
When Worlds Unite - East meets West by S. Chatterjee and M. Wyles, SONTA, Kolkata, India, 2012.