Voter Registration Assistance
The Office of the Dean for Student Affairs is the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) site at ESF. If you are not registered to vote or are registered to vote but would like to change political parties or update your address, visit the office at 110 Bray Hall. Below is additional information to assist you in this process.
Registering to Vote
In order to register to vote, you must be a citizen of the United States, have lived at the address you are registering at for at least 30 days prior to the election, not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction, be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election, and not claim the right to vote elsewhere. Residents of other states are eligible to register in their home state or change their address to vote locally.
To register to vote in New York state, simply obtain a voter registration form by visiting 110 Bray Hall. Students with disabilities who need assistance in completing this process may obtain assistance from the Center for Disability Resources at Syracuse University. Other options include:
- Call 1-800-FOR-VOTE to have a NYS Voter Registration Form mailed to you
- Download and print the NYS Voter Registration Form from the New York State Board of Elections website. Included on this page are registration forms in both English and Spanish and instructions on how to submit your completed paperwork.
- Download and print the NYS Absentee Ballot Form from the New York State Board of Elections. Included on this page are ballot application forms in both English and Spanish and instructions on how to submit your completed paperwork.
- Register to vote online through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website
- Register to vote directly through the Onondaga County Board of Election. The Onondaga County Board of Elections is located at 1000 Erie Blvd. West, Syracuse NY 13204. Call their office at (315) 435-8683
Frequently Asked Questions:
- As a college student living away from home, where should I register?
You can register to vote at either your college address or at your permanent address. If you register at your permanent address and want to vote while attending ESF, you must remember to request an absentee ballot approximately 30 days before the election. Check with your state election board for the exact deadline.
- I live in Centennial Hall and have a box number. What is the correct way to complete the registration form?
Students living in Centennial Hall should use room/suite/apartment number Centennial Hall, 142 Oakland Street, Syracuse NY 13210 as their residence address.
- I registered to vote at my permanent address, how do I vote while I'm away at College?
If you are registered at your permanent address and wish to request an absentee ballot to vote in your permanent home address's district in New York see the NYS Board of Elections Absentee Ballot page.
If you live outside of New York, you must contact your local board of elections. To find your local board of elections, please visit the website below:
New York Dates and Deadlines
June 28, 2022 - Primary Deadlines
Applications Due: June 3, 2022
In Person Registration: Juen 3, 2022
Change of Address: June 8, 2022
Absentee Ballot Application or Request: Postmarked by June 13, 2022
Absentee Ballot Due: June 28, 2022
November 8, 2022- General Election
Applications Due: Postmarked no later than October 14th and received no later than October 19th
In Person Registration: October 14, 2022
Change of Address: October 19, 2022
Absentee Ballot Application or Request: October 24, 2022
Absentee Ballot Due: Postmarked no later than November 8th and received no later than November 15th
If you have questions, please call our office at (315) 470-6660 or visit the NVRA website: