Voter Registration Assistance | Support | ESF Students
e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry
e s f home link - e s f college of environmental science and forestry

Voter Registration Assistance

The Office of the Dean for Student Affairs is the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) site at ESF. If you are not registered to vote or are registered to vote but would like to change political parties or update your address, visit the office at 110 Bray Hall. Below is additional information to assist you in this process.

Registering to Vote

In order to register to vote, you must be a citizen of the United States, have lived in New York at the address you are registering for at least 30 days prior to the election, not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction, be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election, and not claim the right to vote elsewhere. Residents of other states are eligible to register in their home state.

To register to vote in New York state, simply obtain a voter registration form by visiting 110 Bray Hall. Students with disabilities may also obtain forms and assistance from the Office of Disability Services at Syracuse University. Other options include:

Voter Registration Tabling Events:

September 16, 2019- 11:00am-1:00pm, Gateway Center

October 9, 2019- 11:00am-1:00pm, Gateway Center


Frequently Asked Questions:

  • As a college student living away from home, where should I register?

You can register to vote at either your college address or at your permanent address. If you register at your permanent address and want to vote while attending ESF, you must remember to request an absentee ballot approximately 30 days before the election. Check with your state election board for the exact deadline.

  • I'm studying abroad, can I still vote while away?

Find out more by following this link

  • I live in Centennial Hall and have a box number. What is the correct way to complete the registration form?

Students living in Centennial Hall should use room/suite/apartment number Centennial Hall, 142 Oakland Street, Syracuse NY 13210 as their residence address.

  • I registered to vote at my permanent address, how do I vote while I'm away at College?

If you are registered at your permanent address and wish to request an absentee ballot to vote in your permanent home address's district in NY, see the NYS Board of Elections Absentee Ballot page. If you live outside of NY, you must contact your local board of elections. Links to local boards of elections can be found on the website below:

First Time Voters Guide

Youth Vote Coalition

Rock the Vote

Project Vote Smart

New York Dates and Deadlines

June 25, 2019 - Primary Deadlines

Applications Due: Postmarked by June 18, 2019

In Person Registration: June 5, 2019

Change of Address: June 5, 2019

Absentee Ballot Application or Request: June 18, 2019

Absentee Ballot Due: Postmarked June 24, 2019

November 5, 2019- General Election

Applications Due: Postmarked by October 11, 2019

In Person Registration and Change of Party Enrollment: October 11, 2019

Change of Address: October 16, 2019

Absentee Ballot Application or Request: October 29, 2019

Absentee Ballot Due: Postmarked November 4, 2019

Coming Soon...

Information (polling locations, ID requirements)

Links to Forms (voter registration forms, absentee ballot requests)

If you have questions, please call (315) 470-6660 or visit the NVRA website:

Student Support Links

Office of Student Support
110 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210

315-470-4728 (fax)

If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call  9-1-1

If you need ESF Police, call x6667 from any campus phone or (315) 470-6667.

  • Crisis Services during Regular Business Hours: If you are in a crisis, a counselor is available Monday - Friday, 10 - 11am and 2 - 3pm without an appointment.
  • Crisis Services After-Hours/ Weekends: 315-470-4716

Student Support Blog