Department of Environmental Resources Engineering
Mission Statement, Educational Objectives, and Student Outcomes
Our mission is to engage in teaching, research, and service to advance environmental resources engineering to meet the needs of the world.
The program educational objectives of the Department of Environmental Resources Engineering are to prepare:
- Graduates with B.S. degrees in ERE who can:
- Engage in professional engineering practice specializing in natural and designed environments,
- Pursue graduate studies in environmental resources engineering, including ecological, geospatial and water resources engineering, and
- Expand and adapt their knowledge and skills to address the technological, environmental and social challenges of a changing world.
- Graduates with M.P.S, M.S. or Ph.D. degrees who lead the development and application of new knowledge in ecological, geospatial and water resources engineering.
The student outcomes of the Department of Environmental Resources Engineering is for our graduates to have:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions;
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.