Welcome to the NEKDA
2018 Fall Meeting - November 13-14, Southbridge, MA
at the Southbridge Hotel (click for website) $109 per night
- Hull Forest Products https://www.hullforest.com/ , Pomfret Center, CT 06259
- Lumber Handling; Geoff Gannon, TS Manufacturing
- Kiln Controllers, Selection and Use – Expert Panel Presentation and Discussion
- Moisture Meters; Best Selection and Use; Zane Yuhas, Delmhorst
- USDA Inspectors – What do they look for?
- The Science of Burning Wood Chips – pine, mixed hardwood; Dave Nichols
- Drying White Oak Barrel Staves – practical experiences and applications; Terry Connors
- Air Flow for Different Species – Quality, Productive Drying with Energy Savings
- Wood Pellets
- Plant Tours -
- Wagner Millwork Lumber, Owego, NY - 8:30 am
- Masco Cabinetry, Sayre, PA - 11:00 am
- Dry Kiln Operator's Clinic
- Technical Presentations
- Kiln Maintenance and Repair - Expert Panel Discussion
- Bob Pope, SII Dry Kilns
- Jason Ayer, Hardwick Kilns / Cersosimo Lumber
- Brian Hughes, Wagner Lumber
- Safety – Kilns and Mills
- Peter Sformo, W.J. Cox
- Water Quality, Treatment and Boiler Performance for Dry Kiln Operations
- Mike Weiland, Clarity Water Technologies
- Impact of Climate Change on Kiln Drying Quality Lumber
- Chuck Ray, Penn State
- The Importance of Drying Quality to Cabinet Manufacturing
- Don Fetzer, Masco Cabinetry
- Using Radiant Heaters to Maintain Desired Dry Storage EMC
- Mike Lieb, PennRadiant, Pittsburgh, PA
- Jason Lyon, Bingaman Lumber, Clarendon, PA
- Modern Methods of Dimensional Stability
- Neil Kohan, SUNYESF, Syracuse, NY
Main Street, Southbridge, MA | 508/765-8000
We have a great plant tour on Tuesday morning of
our Kiln Operator’s Clinic Tuesday afternoon and technical presentations on Wednesday morning including:
The Southbridge Hotel is a great venue for our meeting, located on the 160 year old historic site of the American Optical Company. Take a look through their website and we think you will find https://www.southbridgehotel.com/ it to be quite nice. Please call the Southbridge Hotel & Conference Center at 508/765-8000 as soon as you can to make overnight room reservations. Be sure to note that you are with the NEKDA; our special rate, held to October 20, is only $109/night.
- 2018 Officers and Board Members (PDF)
- President, Larry Lashway, Lashway Lumber
- 1st Vice President, Dan Avery, Gutchess Lumber
- 2nd Vice President, Chuck Sackett, King Forest Industries
- Executive Secretary Bill Smith, SUNY ESF Wood Products
- Treasurer Bob Pope, USNR Irvington Moore
- Resident Clerk (State of MA) Jason Ayer, Hardwick Kilns
- Past President, Peter Duerden, U*C Coatings
- Board Members -
- 2018, Jim Parker, Vacutherm
- 2018, David Nichols, Technical Services
- 2019, Jeremy Alstrom, HHP
- 2019, Jeremy Howard, NYLE
- 2020, Jake Siedel, GH Evarts
- 2020, John Cody, Hull Forest Products
- Past Meeting Presentations - Please look to the Past Meeting link (to the right) to see some of the topics presented.
- Coming very soon -
- Click here to view the technical presentations from our past meetings.
- Useful books and articles on Lumber Drying, Wood Properties and Manufacturing, and Wood Science.
- Dry Kiln Workshop.
- Our 2010 Jim Catterick Award was presented to Everett Rockwell, North Hudson Woodcraft, Dolgeville NY.
- Our 2010 Bill Rice Acheivement Award was presented to Mark Strail, Harden Furniture, McConnellesville, NY, by NEKDA Life Member, former President, former Executive Secretary, and Professor Emeritus Dr. Bill Rice (below).
- Our 2009 Jim Catterick Award was presented to Tom Graber, Baillie Lumber, Smyrna, NY, by NEKDA 2009 President Jeremy Jacquet (below).
- Our 2009 Bill Rice Acheivement Award was presented to Scott Ferland, Cersosimo Lumber, Brattleboro, VT, by NEKDA Life Member, former President, former Executive Secretary, and Professor Emeritus Dr. Bill Rice (below).
- NEKDA Student Scholarship Award Applications - Click here for an NEKDA student scholarship award application.
- Please contact Bill Smith at email@example.com if you have any ideas or suggestions for topics, tours or locations for upcoming NEKDA meetings.