HOW TO MAKE THOSE
LIMNOLOGICAL GRAPHS ON EXCEL
First, create an (x,y) plot in Excel.
- Enter x and y values adjacent columns
- Highlight x and y values (you can have
more than one X,Y plot on the same graph)
- Click on Insert, Chart, Standard
Types, XY (Scatter)
- Select the chart subtype with points
and connecting lines
- Then click on 'Series'
- Choose your depth for the Y variable
(you can click in the Y row and then highlight the column with your
- Choose your variable of interest
(e.g., light) for your X variable
- If you have two plots for the same
graph, then before leaving this dialog box click on Series 'Add'
- In the new series source data box once
again specify the same depth column as your Y variable
- Specify the second variable of
interest as the X variable
- When you are done adding plots click
- If you want you can add titles in the
'Title' tab or gridlines in the 'Gridline' tab or you can add or remove
- When you are done with this formatting
- Then on the finished chart double
click on the Y axis. Another dialog box will appear and you
should click on the 'Scale' tab. At the bottom of the dialog box
click on 'Values in reverse order.' This will reverse both axes
and give you the right general format (you also could reverse the scale
of each axis separately by reversing the min and max values, but this
will take longer).
The graph can be formatted more by clicking on axes or choosing