Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of Human Resources
I-9 Information

Are you hiring a new employee?

In addition to following the Appointment process, supervisors must make sure new employees complete and sign Section 1 of Form I-9 no later than the first day of employment, and bring the proper identification to the Human Resources office within 3 days from their start date. This is a federal law for all employers, and the College could face serious fines for non-compliance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of a Form I-9?

The purpose of this form is to document that each new employee is authorized to work in the United States, and the Federal Government requires that it be completed for all employees.

Who must complete the Form I-9?

All employees (including student employees) must complete the Form I-9.  ESF must make sure there is a Form I-9 completed for every person hired. The employee completes Section 1 and ESF completes Section 2 while reviewing and verifying the employee’s acceptable identification.

What forms of Identification are acceptable?

The list of acceptable documents is on the back of the I-9 form. We can only accept unexpired documents. You can view the form online at (list of documents are on last page).

May I present a photocopy of a document to the employer?

No. We must see original documents. The law requires that the employee must appear in person to present his/her identification. The only exception is a certified copy of a birth certificate may be presented.

My previous employer accepted a copy, why can’t ESF?

ESF follows the law and requirements as written because we can be subject to penalties and fines by the Federal Government. Plus being within a large university system, we are more likely to be audited than some of the smaller employers.

My original birth certificate (or Social Security card) is at my parents house which is out of town, what should I do?

You have a couple of choices:

A) You can have your parents send you the original document. (Of course you should be careful with that original document and keep it in a safe place or give it back to your parents when done.)

B) You may apply for a replacement SS card by going to the Social Security Office in the Federal Building in downtown Syracuse (located at 100 South Clinton Street, Syracuse, NY 13261). They will give you a receipt and we may accept the receipt for up to 90 days until you receive the actual card and can show it to us. You will need evidence of your identity such as a driver’s license, or state issued non-driver identity card in order to apply for that replacement card.

I previously completed an I-9 form, why do I need to complete another?

It depends. If the previous I-9 form was completed within 3 years of the re-hire date and the documents used are still valid and unexpired, then we can re-verify the previous I-9.

If the previous I-9 was completed more than 3 years prior to the re-hire date or if the documents on the previous I-9 have since expired, a new I-9 needs to be completed.

I completed an I-9 for my job as a State student assistant, why do I need to complete another form for my Research Foundation position?

The State (SUNY) and the Research Foundation (RF) are two separate employers. If you previously completed an I-9 form for one of these employers it is necessary to complete another form for the other employer. We know this is inconvenient, but there are two separate sets of records for each employer.

What if I cannot bring the proper ID to Human Resources to complete Section 2 of the I-9 within 3 days of starting employment?

According to the law, you should not be working past the 3rd day if you have not yet completed the I-9 form and shown the proper identification to the Office of Human Resources.


Call the Human Resources Office at (315) 470-6611 or you are welcome to stop by our office in 216 Bray Hall.

We look forward to seeing you at ESF!