Digital Millennium Copyright Act
Office of the Vice President for Administration
Users of SUNY-ESF computer systems should be aware of their responsibilities under the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
- DMCA official summary (PDF).
Users who violate copyright laws or repeatedly violate the provisions of the DMCA may have their computer access accounts, permissions and/or privileges revoked.
Copyright owners who believe that their rights have been infringed upon by a user of the College's computing resources should submit a notification of claimed infringement to the designated DMCA agent:
Joseph L. Rufo
Vice President for Administration
208 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
A proper notification of claimed infringement must include the following:
- name and address of complaining party
- contact information (phone, email)
- sufficient information to identify the copyrighted work(s)
- the infringing matter and its location (URL, publication, etc.)
- a statement by the copyright owner of good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of copyrighted materials by the infringing party
- a statement of the accuracy of the complaint, and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner.