Digital Millennium Copyright Act
Users of SUNY ESF computer systems should be aware of their responsibilities under the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Users who violate copyright laws or repeatedly violate the provisions of the DMCA may have their computer access accounts, permissions and/or privileges revoked.
Copyright owners who believe that their rights have been infringed upon by a user of the College's computing resources should submit a notification of claimed infringement to the designated DMCA agent:
A proper notification of claimed infringement must include the following:
- name and address of complaining party
- contact information (phone, email)
- sufficient information to identify the copyrighted work(s)
- the infringing matter and its location (URL, publication, etc.)
- a statement by the copyright owner of good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of copyrighted materials by the infringing party
- a statement of the accuracy of the complaint, and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner.