Publications of René Germain:
- Paye, E. and R.H. Germain. 2020. The Formative Evaluation of a Forestry Best Management Practices Program in a Municipal Watershed. Forestry Chronicle (in press).
- Kyaw, T. R.H. Germain, S. Stehman and L. Quackenbush. 2020. "Quantifying forest loss and forest degradation in Myanmar's "Home of Teak. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 50(2): 89-101, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2018-0508.
- Jaysuriya, M. R.H Germain and J. Wagner. 2020. Protecting timberland RMZs through carbon markets: A protocol for riparian carbon offsets. Forest Policy and Economics, 111: 1-12, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2019.102084
- Kelly, M., and R.H. Germain. 2020. Applying theory of constraints to timber harvesting: A case study from the Northeast USA. Croatian Journal of Forest Engineering, 41(1): 59-69.
- Germain, R.H., J. Regula, S. Bick and L. Zhang. 2019. Factors Influencing Logging Costs for Loggers Operating Tree-Length Harvest Systems in the Northeast. The Forestry Chronicle, 95(01): 16-23, https://doi.org/10.5558/tfc2019-005
- Jaysuriya, M. R.H Germain and E. Bevilacqua. 2019. Stumpage Opportunity Cost of Riparian Management Zones on Headwater Streams in Northern Hardwood Timberlands. Forest Science, 65(1): 108-116.
- Regula, J. R.H. Germain, S. Bick and L. Zhang. 2018. Assessing the economic viability of loggers operating tree-length harvest systems in the Northeast. Journal of Forestry, 116(4):347–356.
- Germain, R.H., C. Ghosh, M. Jayasariya 2018. Community Forestry in the State of Uttarakhand, India: Not Meeting the Needs of the Villagers. Small Scale Forestry, 17(2), 225-242 DOI: 1007/s11842-017-9384-z.
- Kelly, M. R.H. Germain and S. Bick. 2017. Impacts of forestry Best Management Practices on logging costs and productivity in the Northeast U.S.A. Journal of Forestry, 115(6): 503-512.
- Germain, R.H., C. Pinkoski and E. Bevilacqua. 2016. Parcelization and land use change in the rural residential landscape of the Catskill Region in New York State. Journal of Conservation Planning, 12: 29-40.
- Kelly, M. R.H. Germain. 2016. Is it efficient to single-handedly run a multi-machine harvesting operation? A case study from the Northeast United States, International Journal of Forest Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/14942119.2016.1214496
- Germain, R.H., S. Bick, M. Kelley, J. Benjamin and W. Farrand. 2016. A Case Study of Three High-Performing Contract Loggers with Distinct Harvest Systems: Are they thriving, striving or just surviving? Forest Products Journal. 66(1/2): 97-105.
- Germain, R.H., C. Nowak and J. Wager. 2016. The tree that built America – Not making the grade. Journal of Forestry 114(5): 552-561.
- Kelly, M., R.H. Germain and S. Mack. 2015. Forest Conservation Programs and the Landowners Who Prefer Them: Profiling Family Forest Owners in the New York City Watershed. Land Use Policy. 50: 17 – 28.
- Kelly, M., R.H. Germain and Steve Stehman. 2015. Family Forest Owner Preferences for Forest Conservation Programs: A New York Case Study. Forest Science. 61(3):597–603.
- Forman-Cook, W., R.W. Malmsheimer and R.H. Germain. 2015. Local Regulation of Timber Harvesting in New York State. Forest Science. 61(6):1079–1087.
- Germain, R.H., R. Yanai, A. Mischler, Y. Yang and BB Park. 2015. Landscape and Individual Tree Predictors of Dark Heart Size in Sugar Maple. Journal of Forestry. 113 (1): 20-29.
- Maker, N. R.H. Germain, and N. Anderson 2014. All in the Family: A Case Study of Sustained Yield Management on Vermont Family Forests. Journal of Forestry 112(4): 371-380.
- Penfield, P. R.H. Germain, and W. Smith. 2014. Assessing the supply chain efficiency of hardwood sawmills in New York State through case study analysis and DEA modeling. Forest Products Journal. 64 3/4: 90-96
- Germain, R.H., B. Ellis and S. Stehman. 2014. Does Landowner Awareness and Knowledge Lead to Sustainable Forest Management? Journal of Extension. 52(6):1-13.
- VanBrakle, J., R.H. Germain, J. Munsell and S. Stehman. 2013. "Do Forest Management Plans Increase BMP Implementation on Family Forests? A Formative Evaluation in the NYC Watershed. Journal of Forestry, 111(2):108-114.
- Germain, R.H. and C. Ghosh. 2013. Assessing Extension's Ability to Promote Family Forests as a Woody Biomass Feedstock in the Northeast United States. Journal of Extension, 51 (1):1-8.
- Caron, J., R.H. Germain and N. Anderson. 2012. Parcelization and land use: A New York City Watershed case study. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 29(2): 74-80.
- Anderson, N., R.H. Germain and M. Hall. 2012. An assessment of forest cover and impervious surface area on family forests in the New York City Watershed. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 29(2): 67-73.
- Nowak, C., R.H. Germain, and A. Drew. 2011. Timber harvesting, silviculture, and forest management: an axe does not a forester make. Chapter 8, p. 247-276 In (J.D. Castello and S.A. Teale, eds.), Forest Health: An Integrated Perspective, Cambridge University Press.
- Siemion, J., D. Burns, P. Murdoch and R.H. Germain 2011. The relation of harvesting intensity to changes in soil, soil water, and stream chemistry in a northern hardwood forest, Catskill Mountains, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 261 1510–1519.
- Anderson, N., R.H. Germain and E. Bevilacqua. 2011.GIS-based spatial analysis of sawmill wood procurement. Journal of Forestry 109(1): 34-42.
- Germain, R.H. and P. Pennfield. 2010. The Certified Wood Supply Chain Bottleneck and its Impact on LEED Construction Projects in New York State. Forest Products Journal 60(2):114-118.
- Anderson, N. and R.H. Germain. 2009. Land cover, land use and mill characteristics as predictors of wood procurement range. Forest Products Journal 59(11/12): 100-107.
- Munsell, J.F., R.H, Germain, V.A. Luzadis, and E. Bevilacqua. 2009. Owner intentions, previous harvests, and future timber yield on 50 working NIPF in New York State. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 26(2) 45-51.
- Anderson, N., R.H. Germain and E. Bevilacqua. 2009. Characteristics of transborder wood flow to sawmills in eastern Canada. Forestry Chronicle 85(1): 1-10.
- Vickory, B., R.H. Germain, E. Bevilacqua. 2009. Urbanization's Impact on Sustained Yield Management as Perceived by Forestry Professionals in Central New York. Forest Policy and Economics 11: 42-49.
- Golden, H.E., E.W. Boyer, M.K. Brown, T.S. Purucker, and R.H. Germain. 2009. Spatial variability of nitrate concentrations under diverse conditions in tributaries to a lake watershed. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45(4) 945-962.
- Yanai, R. R.H. Germain, N. Anderson, A. Coates and A. Mishler. 2009. Heart Size of Sugar Maple Sawlogs Across Six Northern States. Journal of Forestry 107(2): 95-100.
- Munsell, J.F., R.H. Germain and E. Bevilacqua. 2008. A Tale of Two Forests: Case Study Comparisons of Sustained Yield Management on Mississippi and New York NIPF. Journal of Forestry 106(8): 431-439.
- Homyak, P.M., R.D. Yanai, D.A. Burns; R.D. Briggs and R.H. Germain. 2008. Nitrogen immobilization by wood chip application: protecting water quality in a northern hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management Forest Ecology and Management 255: 2589-2601.
- Germain, R.H., N. Anderson and E. Bevilacqua. 2007. The Effects of Forestland Parcelization and Ownership Transfers on Non-industrial Private Forestland Forest Stocking in New York. Journal of Forestry 105(8): 403-408.
- Munsell, J.F. and R.H. Germain. 2007. Woody biomass energy: An opportunity for silviculture on non-industrial private forestlands in New York. Journal of Forestry 105(8): 398-402.
- Anderson, N. and R.H. Germain. 2007. Variation in sawmill procurement operations in the Northeast. Forest Products Journal 57(10):36-44.
- Germain, R.H., J.F. Munsell and K. Brazill. 2007. The New York City Watershed Model Forests Revisited Five Years Later: An assessment of successes, failures, and challenges for the future. Journal of Extension 45(3): 1-11.
- Germain, R.H., K. Brazill and S. Stehman. 2006. Forestland parcelization in upstate New York despite economic stagnation and a declining population. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 23(4): 280-287.
- Wang, X. D.A. Burns, R.D. Yanai, R.D. Briggs, R.H. Germain. 2006. Changes in Stream Chemistry and Nutrient Export Following a Partial Harvest in the Catskill Mountains, New York, USA. For. Ecol. Manag. 223:103-112.
- Munsell, J.F., R.H. Germain, E. Bevilacqua, and R.M. Schuster. 2006. Voluntary BMP implementation by NIPF owners in New York City's water supply system. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 23(2): 133-140.
- Germain, R.H. and J. Munsell. 2005. How much land is needed for the harvest access system on NIPF dominated by northern hardwoods? Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 22(4): 243-247.
- Lapierre, S. and R.H. Germain 2005. Forestland parcelization in the New York City Watershed. Journal of Forestry 104(3) 139-145.
- Munsell, J. and R.H. Germain. 2004. Forestry extension participation and written forest management plan use in New York City's Water Supply System. Journal of Extension 43 (2).
- Germain, R.H. and S. Harris. 2003. Logger training leads to improved market access but no price premium. Journal of Extension 41(5).
- Harris, S., R.H. Germain and L. Zhang. 2003. Assessing wood procurement management systems in the forest products industry. Forest Products Journal 53(2) 1-10.
- Capozzi, S., C. Dawson, and R.H. Germain. 2003. Satisfaction with recreational leasing of industrial forestlands in the State of New York. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 20(1) 27-33.
- Germain, R.H., S. Harris and V. Luzadis. 2002. Assessing Environmental Management Systems for Implementing Sustainable Forestry on Industrial Forestlands. Journal of Forestry 100 (2) 12-18.
- Malmsheimer, R.W. and R.H. Germain. 2002. Needs assessment surveys: Do they predict attendance at continuing education workshops? Jo. Of Extension 40(4).
- Germain, R.H., Floyd D. and S. Stehman. 2001. Participant perceptions of the Forest Service's public participation process. Jo. Of Forest Policy and Economics (3) 113-124.
- Germain, R.H., J. Shwartz and J. Parrish. 2001. The New York City Watershed Model Forests: Working laboratories to study and demonstrate sustainable forestry. Jo. Of Extension 39(2).
- Germain, R.H. and D.W. Floyd. 1999. Models for Examining Forest Resource Conflicts. Forest Science, 45(3) 394-406.
- Floyd, D.W., R.H. Germain and K. ter Horst. 1996. A resource conflict model for assessing negotiation and mediation in forest resource conflicts. Jo. Of Forestry, 94(5) 29-33.
Nowak, C., R.H. Germain, and A.
Drew. 2011. Timber harvesting, silviculture,
and forest management: an axe does not a forester make. Chapter 8, p. 247-276 In (J.D. Castello and S.A. Teale, eds.), Forest
Health: An Integrated Perspective, Cambridge University Press.
| Forest and Natural Resources Managment | ESF