SUNY ESF is proud to support the educational goals of our students and families who have served their country. The Registrar's Office provides information and assistance with certification paperwork for Veterans Affairs educational benefits. All students eligible for VA Education Benefits must file the appropriate paperwork with the VA Certifying Official according to their specific situations.
On Campus Support
VA Certifying Official: Leigh Petryssyn, Outreach Coordinator
For Post-9/11 Chapter 33 and Other Programs, Chapter 30 MGIB, Chapter 31 Voc-Rehab, Chapter 35 Survivor/Dependents, Chapter, 1606 Select Reserve, 1607 REAP
For the application process, please follow the instructions on the VA website:
- 22-1990 Application for VA Education benefits
- 22-1990E Transfer of Benefit to family member
What to send to SUNY ESF's VA Certifying Official (send any that apply to you):
- SUNY ESF VA enrollment application
- Member 4 copy of DD-214 discharge papers if applicable.
- VA Certificate of Eligibility -- if you have previously applied for VA education benefits.
- DD-2384-1 form (Reservist or National Guard applying for Chapter 1606 Selected Reserves). This form is obtained from your unit.
- Any "kicker" (additional education benefits contract) documentation.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Authorization Form (1905). Provided by VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment counselor if you will be receiving Chapter 31 education benefits.
Students who had been receiving VA benefits at another college must complete a Change of Program/Place of Training form to receive benefits at ESF.
- SUNY ESF VA enrollment application
- VA form 22-1995 for Veterans, Change of Place or Program
- VA form 22-5495 for Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance. Copies of these must be sent to the ESF by the student
- Newly accepted undergraduate students may contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions regarding a possible waiver of the Admissions enrollment deposit.
Continuing Students are asked to submit the enrollment application (available in the Registrar's Office) every semester to notify the VA certifying official that they have registered for classes, not only for fall and spring semesters, but also if they are planning on taking any Summer Session classes at ESF or Syracuse University.
Certification of Enrollment
The Certifying Official will send certification of enrollment to the VA each semester.
- It is the student's responsibility to contact the Certifying Official once you are registered for a term.
- It is the student's responsibility to notify the Certifying Official in writing of any changes in degree program.
- It is the student's responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if withdrawing from or adding a course.
- Please note the VA will not directly pay SUNY-ESF for your housing or meal plan. You may use your monthly housing allowance if eligible towards that expense.
If you receive Chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607, you must complete enrollment certification with the VA each month that you qualify for benefits. This should be completed the last day of each month online at Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) or by phone 877-823-2378. Once enrollment certification is submitted, the status of your payment can be checked by calling the New York state regional office at 888-442-4551. The VA Certifying Official DOES NOT have access to payment status information such as housing allowance or book stipends.
For further information about scholarships and awards for Veterans and to apply, please visit the Military Corner. You also may call 888-697-4372 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Education and Training
- Register for questions/answers about VA Benefits
- Education FAQ's
- Telephone: 1-888-GIBILL-1 or 1-888-442-4551
ESF Veteran Outreach Initiative (Veteran support and community),Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (OIDE)