Main Registration Links
Register for ClassesMySlice of Syracuse University
- MySlice Portal main page
- Class SearchYou do not need to log in to MySlice to search the SU Time Schedule. Under "MySlice Applications," click on Class Search to find open and closed sections.
Academic Year ESF & SU
- Schedule of Classes on MySlice (Please see the schedule on MySlice
To find closed sections, use MySlice. You do not need to log inunder "MySlice Applications," click on "Class Search."
Summer Semester | Visting Students | Continuing Studies
- Visiting Students home (registration, information, schedules)
Course Descriptions & Catalogs
- Please email the Registrar's office at firstname.lastname@example.org for a change of major form
- Pre-plan your schedule worksheet
Registration Support TopicsMySlice, advising, special registration circumstances, etc.
- Other Registration Holds
- Courses Requiring Permission
- Signing on to the MySlice portal
- To Register or Add or Drop a Course
- To print a copy of your schedule
- For more information
Undergraduates: Every undergraduate student is required to meet with their advisor before registering for classes. All undergraduates will have an advising hold placed on their registration records. This hold will be released by the ESF Registrar's Office once you have obtained your advisor's approval of your registration form. Please email your completed form to your advisor and ask them to forward it to the Registrar's Office at email@example.com. Please note that any time you register or add/drop a new form must be sent to your advisor for approval. Please note: your advisor cannot release an advising hold. You must have an approved form emailed to the Registrar's Office from your advisor.
Graduates: While it is not required, it is recommended that all graduate students contact their major professors before registering for classes. Graduate students will not have an advising hold placed on their registration records and will not need to come to the Registrar's Office before registering.
Other Registration Holds
In addition to your advising hold, a hold may be placed on your registration if you need SU Health Services clearance, have an unpaid account balance at the ESF or SU Bursar’s Office, have overdue books at Moon Library or the SU Libraries, or are on ESF Administrative hold, and so forth. To view your registration holds go to the My Slice Portal and then choose the View Holds hyperlink from the Student Services Application.
Please contact the office listed to have the hold condition resolved. You will not be able to register until all holds are removed.
Courses Requiring Permission
Prior to registration, you will need to obtain permission to enroll in any restricted classes or classes requiring consent.
For ESF classes: permission is obtained from the faculty member who teaches the class. You will be given a permission number to enter during your registration session. Note: for courses numbered 495,498, and 499 the instructor needs to email the Registrar's office and we will add that particular class for you.
For SU classes: permission is obtained from the department or college that offers the class. We recommmend that you wait until campus reopens in the Fall to contact them for a permission number.
How to Enter a Permission Number:
- Follow Steps 1-6 for "Enroll in a Class"
- Notice that the Subject and Catalog Numbers are a hyperlink.
- Click the hyperlink
- The Enrollment Options Page is displayed
- Enter your permission number in the Permission Number field
- Click the yellow OK button.
- You are returned to the Add Classes page
- Click the yellow SUBMIT button to complete your registration.
Having Trouble with MySlice?
MySlice is supported by the Information Technology and Services (ITS) unit of Syracuse University. If you're having trouble with MySlice, these resources will help:
Signing on to MySlice Portal
- Access My Slice Portal
- Use your SU Net ID and password.
- You will see various hyperlinks in the student services application.
- To register, click on "enroll in a class."
To Register or Add, Drop a Course, or Swap a Course
To Register or Add:
- Click on the "Enroll/Drop/Adjust Classes" hyperlink in the Student Services application in the Portal. The Enrollment/Select a Term page is displayed.
- Select "Add Classes" hyperlink at the bottom of the page. The Enrollment/ Add Classes page is displayed.
- If you have the 5-digit class number written down, enter it directly into the class number field. The following Class information should fill in:
- Subject, Catalog Number, Section, Grading Basis. Or Search for a Class:
- Click the magnifying glass to the right of the CLASS NUMBER input field.
- The Add Classes/Basic Class Search page is displayed. Enter Search criteria
The Add status displays: Success = The class has been added to your schedule, or Errors = The class has not been added. See the enrollment errors section for information to help resolve the error.
- Information regarding the desired class is displayed or you will receive the following message: "Your search will return over 50 classes, would you like to continue?" If you wish to refine your search, click the yellow CANCEL button to return to the Search page. Enter more detailed information to limit your search results. If you wish to continue click the Yellow OK button.
- Click the check mark next to the desired class. The Enrollment/Add Classes page is re- displayed with the following Class information filled in: Subject, Catalog Number, Section and Grading Basis. Submit selected class. Click the yellow SUBMIT button.
To DROP a Class:
These instructions are for prior to the end of the add period at the beginning of a semester. After the end of the add period students must submit a registration form signed by the instructor of the class and their advisor to the Registrar's Office and their staff will drop the class. Students do not have access to make any changes in MySlice after the end of the add period.
- Click on the "Enroll in a Class" hyperlink from the Student Services application. The Enrollment/Select a Term page is displayed.
- Select the term for which the class is to be dropped. The Enrollment/View My Schedule page appears.
- Select the "Drop/Update Classes" hyperlink at the bottom of the page. ENROLLMENT DROP/UPDATE page and a listing of all enrolled classes is displayed. To the right of each class(in the Action column) is a drop down menu.
- Click on the class you want to drop. Select from the enrollment action field located on the same row as the class to be dropped. Choose DROP from the drop-down menu. DROP is highlighted and is displayed in the ACTION field.
- Click the yellow SUBMIT button. The enrollment request is posted. The update status is changed to success, and the ENROLLMENT STATUS is DROPPED.
To SWAP a Class:
- Click on the "Enroll in a Class" hyperlink in the Student Services application. The Enrollment/Select a Term page is displayed.
- Select the term for which the classes are to be swapped. The Enrollment/View my Schedule page is displayed.
- In the SWAP TO CLASS NUMBER field, enter class number for the class you wish to switch to. If the class number is unknown, you may search the SCHEDULE OF CLASSES via the magnifying glass to the right of the CLASS NUMBER input field. If the class number is entered directly, the following fields populate with class info: Subject, Catalog Number, Section and Grading Basis.
- Select "Swap Classes" hyperlink at the bottom of the page. SWAP CLASSES page is displayed.
- If you search for a class, click the magnifying glass to the right of the CLASS NUMBER input field. The Add Classes/Basic Class Search page is displayed.
- Enter Search criteria. Information regarding the desired class is displayed or you will receive the following message: “Your search will return over 50 classes, would you like to continue?” If you wish to refine your search, click the yellow CANCEL button to return to the Search page. Enter more detailed information to limit your search results. If you wish to continue click the Yellow OK button.
- Click the check mark next to the desired class. The Enrollment/Add Classes page is re-displayed with the following class information filled in: Subject, Catalog Number, Section, Grading Basis.
- Submit selected class. Click the yellow SUBMIT button. The Add status displays will show “Success = the class has been added to your schedule” or “Errors = The class has not been added”. See the enrollment errors section to help resolve the error.
To Print a Copy of Your Schedule
From the ADD CLASSES page, scroll to the bottom. Select the VIEW MY SCHEDULE link. From the VIEW MY SCHEDULE page, select the Printer Friendly Page link.
- Step 1:
- From the Browser tool bar select: File-Page Setup
- Set Orientation to landscape
- Set Margins to Left .5, Top .5, Right .5 and Bottom .5
- Set Size to letter
- Click OK
- Step 2:
- From the Browser tool bar select: Print- Print Preview
- From the "as laid out" drop down menu select "the selected frames only” option.
- View page(s) and select print.
For more information
Review the detailed registration instructions in the online Time Schedule of Classes at http://registrar.syr.edu.
Remember, the registration process depends on understanding ESF’s requirements, seeking out help from your advisor or the Registrar’s Office, being flexible about course and section options, knowing where and how to seek permission for closed and restricted courses, and being patient with the technology.