Office of Business Affairs
Adding an Electronic Signature with Adobe Reader
If you haven’t created an electronic/digital tracking signature: The 1st time you open a document that needs an electronic/digital signature, you’ll have to actually create your signature. Once that is done, you’ll use your electronic signature that is saved in your documents for future use.
NOTE: You’ll always need your password to access your signature once created.
- Open Adobe Reader DC and select “See All Tools”
- Open “Certificates”
- Find the PDF file that you want to add your signature to
- Open the document and click on “Digitally Sign”
- Follow the instructions in the pop up by clicking “OK”
- Move your curser to the area on which it needs your signature
- Create a signature block area on which to insert your signature. Follow the instructions
in the pop up by clicking “Configure Digital ID”
- If you are creating a digital signature for the first time, click on “Create a new Digital ID”
- Click “Continue” and Save to a File (this is where you would house your signature for future use. Be sure you know what folder you’re saving your signature in for future use)
- Complete the information within this section
- Once you create your signature, for all future electronic/digital signatures, click on “Use a Digital ID from a file” where you would then find where your signature is housed within your computer
- Once you have your signature on file, you can add your signature to any file that requires a digital signature by selecting your signature from the file/folder where you have it saved
- Click on “Configure Digital ID”
- Click “Use a Digital ID from a file” and “Continue”
- Find the File that has your digital signature ID and enter your ID password
- Click “Continue”
- Follow the instructions to find the file and choose the Digital ID File to insert your digital signature within the form.
- Click “Continue”
- Enter your password again
- Click “Sign”
- Save the document with a new file name. This is important if you’re using a form that others will also be using. That way, the original document will not be modified with your signature within it.
- If a second signature is required, forward this document to the next person so they can add their signature.